varigated thrread

bert

not sure if this the right spot to post this.:think I like varigated thread doilies :clapbut never seem to pick the right thread.:( so how do you pick the right color for your doilies? :cheer bert:hook

I am so glad to find someone else who likes shaded thread for doilies. The general feeling seems to be that they obscure the stitch patten. I have made quite a few, using shaded thread for the less-intricate areas, and one colour from the shdes for the more-intricate areas. Not a conventional way to make doilies, but I love them! I tend to choose light colours, though, nothing dark and dramatic.

I agree with amdm in this--it's less about choosing the right thread than about choosing the right pattern for showing off the thread.

I've made a couple of doilies (not a lot, I admit) using variegated thread--and I have some gorgeous, special thread I'm just waiting to find the right pattern for. When I'm looking for a pattern, I choose one that has clusters or bunches of stitches that will show off the color nicely, and a very simple overall design which will not be lost in the color, the way intricate designs can be.

Treble crochet clusters are perfect, for example, although they are not the only option.

Archived