I have a question about motifs...

hello everyone,

how do you join motifs together without having to sew them?

or is that the only way to join them?

because i've made things in the past, and i have sewn the motifs together, and i think it would work out better for me if i crocheted them together.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There are ways to crochet motifs together rather than sewing them. If you are doing granny squares for instance, what I do sometimes is take two squares and put say two right sides together and attach yarn with a slip stitch on one end of one square with say a sc, then sc in the same stitch on the corresponding square...then crochet down one square say for 3 stitches, skip the corresponding stitches on the other square and sc for 3 stitches on the other square and repeat to the end...you can experiement and do this a number of ways. It sort of gives it a bit of a zig zag affect.

If you are doing round motifs, what you can do is do one motif complete, and then the 2nd and every motif after that work to the 2nd to the last round and on the last round, as you're crocheting that round, figure out where the placement for joining would be for the other motif and as you're working that last round, join the other motif. It might be a little tricky at first, but once you get going on that, it will go pretty quick after that.

The Crochet Dude has a pamphlet (I think it's a pamphlet anyway) for joining techniques. You might want to check his website at: http://www.thecrochetdude.com.

First off, what kind of motif are you talking about? Are they square or round or like a snowflake or what?

Secondly, what you would do, say if it was a square motif is take two motifs right sides together, attach the yarn to where you want to join them, like on the corners with a sc...then sc in the next two stitches (one from each side, just like if you were sewing them) and repeat.

the problem with joining by single crochet is the project kinda has a valley (or ridge depending on if you put the sc in the front or back of the squares) so if you want it to lay flat i wouldn't really reccommend a sc.. thats just the experiance i've had.. i usually do a lacy type joining or i slip stitch them together

the problem with joining by single crochet is the project kinda has a valley (or ridge depending on if you put the sc in the front or back of the squares) so if you want it to lay flat i wouldn't really reccommend a sc.. thats just the experiance i've had.. i usually do a lacy type joining or i slip stitch them together

This is what I do now when going squares with sc, which is what I wrote in a previous post in this thread:

There are ways to crochet motifs together rather than sewing them. If you are doing granny squares for instance, what I do sometimes is take two squares and put say two right sides together and attach yarn with a slip stitch on one end of one square with say a sc, then sc in the same stitch on the corresponding square...then crochet down one square say for 3 stitches, skip the corresponding stitches on the other square and sc for 3 stitches on the other square and repeat to the end...you can experiement and do this a number of ways. It sort of gives it a bit of a zig zag affect.

Archived