Afghans for flood victims?

I am interested in making afghans/ blankets to help some of the flood victims in the mid east. I wouldn't know how to organize it so I thought I would check here to see if anyone had any information on such a project. I know this will not replace the things they lost in the terrible floods but I hope it will either comfort them during this terrible time and / or give the new hope.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to put this in. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.Thanks again.

I think checking with churches and/or the Red Cross in the affected areas could be a good first step. Sometimes, when they have such a massive disaster they prefer cash donations over goods. Try that and see what they tell you.

I think the red cross wants mainly monetary donations. That's what they've said at least. But you might check with some other charities though. One charity I think really is amazing is Operation Blessing. It's a christian organization that really cares and stays until the job is done. It's through cbn I think. There web addy is http://www.cbn.com .

The Salvation Army is collecting good new and used clothing. They might be the ones to contact. I know this would be really appreciated. If all else fails, I could give you the names of a couple of churches that have members who lost most everything. Thanks for thinking of us! Mary

http://www.yellowpages.com/Columbus-Junction-IA/Churches-Places-of-Worship?search_terms=church

This is a list of churches etc. in Columbus Junction, Iowa. I imagine you could work with any of these organizations. One lawyer there lost his office and his home. There are many immigrants in that area. It's a nice small city and I know many people there would appreciate a love-ghan.

There is a woman on Ravelry collecting 8" squares to make blankets for victims in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (she has a contact there). If you are Ravelry check out the "Charity Knitting" group.

P.S. her deadline is July 7, 2008 ~ they are trying to work fast to get the afghans together and out.

sorry but I have no idea what Ralvery is.How do I find the group? I do know how to knit so I guess that would have to work but I just thought someone here had already started something. Like I stated before I am no good at organizing things and I live in central TX so I don't know what the really need that I can give besides money.

Here what was posted:

My friend Terri and I are putting out a call for 8x8 knitted or crocheted squares. Our sewing/knitting/crocheting group at church is going to assemble them into blankets to send to the victims of the Cedar Rapids floods.

Here are the guidelines:

1. Squares can be knit or crochet in any pattern, any color, as long as they are 8” by 8”.
  2. No need to block your squares before you send them, but please make sure they’re relatively square.
  3. Yarns must be MACHINE WASHABLE. Acrylic or cotton is preferred. WASHABLE wool will be accepted, but please include a note with your square letting us know it’s wool (for allergy purposes.)
  4. Please let us know where you’re from! We will be sending a note with each blanket letting the recipient know where each square come from.
  5. We would like to get the blankets done in the next four weeks, so the deadline for squares is JULY 7.

I will see if Jennelle (who posted this) will give me an email address so you can contact her.

Update on the Project to make afghans for the flood victims of Ceder Rapids, Iowa......

For the mailing address please contact: rebelfanjenny@hotmail.com

She is collecting 8" squares (any pattern, acrylic yarn)

and would like them mailing on or before July 7th......

Any you can send would be appreciated!!! :yes

Archived