Teaching kids crochet

I've been working on a new project and my almost five year old daughter really really really wants to learn how to "knit" as she calls it.

I'm thinking not quite 5 is a little young to start teaching her. Sometimes I explain what I'm doing as I do a stitch, and she actually gets bored pretty quickly, lol. I guess it's more fun to do than to listen to!

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what a good age is to start letting her work on something. We have a starter kit with rainbow yarn that she has been carrying around all weekend. And she insists she really wants to learn how to make something, not just play with the yarn. ;)

I started crocheting when I was 8. Taught by my grandmother and mother. But I would think that if she is showing interest in it, what would it hurt? Go for it! If nothing else, it will keep her little mind busy and keep her out of trouble! lol It's also a good way for you and her to bond even more. Good luck :)

Ok, well maybe if I do the starting chain and the first row for her, she would be able to do a single crochet row. My other worry is I'm a lefty and she's a righty. I hope I can figure this out backwards.... but as a lefty I've been doing that my whole life anyway :)

Thanks for the input!

my nan taught my left handed sister by sitting a mirror against her chest and knitting infront of it.. and my sis looked at the mirror.. worked perfectly...

While 5 might be a bit young to learn...I certainly wouldn't discourage her from trying! Give her a hook and some yarn and show her how to chain.....that's where I started....it's the easiest to learn....and she will feel like she is "knitting" like Mommy!

I started when I was 6 or 7, and while I lost interest quickly back then, it made it much simpler to pick it up more recently when I started doing it seriously. My grandma made a point of teaching all of us when we were young.

I agree with big hook and the chain stitch. If she can master the sc then fine, but I wouldn't push it. She can make all kinds of jewelry for her dolls, stuffed animals and herself with a chain stitch. Good Luck. :hook

While 5 might be a bit young to learn...I certainly wouldn't discourage her from trying! Give her a hook and some yarn and show her how to chain.....that's where I started....it's the easiest to learn....and she will feel like she is "knitting" like Mommy!

This is a great suggestion.

And don't worry about the lefty/righty thing. At that age, most children can do a lot with their "other" hand.

:manyheart

i learned when i was four or five, with RHSS and an I hook, but i was always on the precocious side, and had way more patience than most kids that age...it never hurts to start teaching her.

Archived