Triangle - how to

crochetfun

Question

If I were to crochet a right angle triangle with two different sides, how would I go about it?

Maybe it helps if I am more specific:

I need to make it to a certain size. So how would I calculate the increases/decreases to get the right dimensions. There must be a formula, right?

Thanks for any help you can give.:)

6 answers to this question

Pythagorean Theorem - a right triangle's formula is...shoot, I don't know how to type it here. Anyway, it's one short side squared plus the other short side squared equals the long side squared. Common ones are 3,4,5 (3x3=9, 4x4=16, 5x5=25 and 9+16=25), 6,8,10 and 5,12,13. Is this the kind of formula you are looking for? (Hi, my name is sjkmaurice. I'm a math addict.)

So you already know the width and the height requirements. Next you need to make a swatch so you can figure out how many stitches you need to make to equal that width, and how many rows you need to equal that height.

Say you needed 48 stitches and 12 rows. You would need to get from 48 stitches at the bottom to 1 stitch on the top row, with all the decreases evenly spaced among the rows. You'll actually be decreasing on only 11 of the rows, since the bottom row will be the full 48 stitches. So divide 48 by 11, and you get 4.363. You'll need to decrease 4 or 5 stitches each row to get to 0.

I think that will work, anyway!!

Pythagorean Theorem - a right triangle's formula is...shoot, I don't know how to type it here. Anyway, it's one short side squared plus the other short side squared equals the long side squared. Common ones are 3,4,5 (3x3=9, 4x4=16, 5x5=25 and 9+16=25), 6,8,10 and 5,12,13. Is this the kind of formula you are looking for? (Hi, my name is sjkmaurice. I'm a math addict.)

Thanks for trying to help:)

I have no problem with the Pythagorean Theorem, however, I am not at all sure I can apply it to this:

If I am to crochet a triangle, I have a couple of ways I can do it:go from the hypotenuse and decrease both sides, or start at a corner and increase.

Since I do not want even sides, the rate of increase (or decrease) would be different for the two sides. Now, what I would like is a way to calculate those inreases(or decreases ) so I get a certain size.

So you already know the width and the height requirements. Next you need to make a swatch so you can figure out how many stitches you need to make to equal that width, and how many rows you need to equal that height.

Say you needed 48 stitches and 12 rows. You would need to get from 48 stitches at the bottom to 1 stitch on the top row, with all the decreases evenly spaced among the rows. You'll actually be decreasing on only 11 of the rows, since the bottom row will be the full 48 stitches. So divide 48 by 11, and you get 4.363. You'll need to decrease 4 or 5 stitches each row to get to 0.

I think that will work, anyway!!

Thanks Amy, but that would work for a triangle w. two eequal sides.

I need one w. two different sides.

Nonetheless, your explanation triggered some thought process in my head, I just need some confirmation that it actually makes sense.

Why don't I treat my triangle as two halves, mark the centre stitch and do different rates on Inc/dec as it may be. Does that make sense or will I end up with some weird shape?

Danny Kaye sang in an old movie, "The correct Hypotenuse (sp) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the square of the two adjacent sides." I can even hear the tune in my head.

How you go about crocheting a triangle the exact size is quite tricky because things get a little bigger the more rows you do.

I tried this.

Chain 10, work 1 SC into 2nd CH from hook and into each ch to the end. 1CH, turn.

(Always work first SC into the SC the 1CH sits on.)

Row 1, Work 1SC into each SC to last 2 SC, work a decrease over these 2SC. 1CH, turn.

Row 2, Work decrease over the first 2 SC, work in SC to end, 1CH, turn.

Keep doing row 1 and 2 until you have one stitch left.

This exercise should show you that it works and you should be able to make it bigger or smaller

Hope this helps.

Colleen

Archived