Filet Charting Copyright Question

Here is my question:

If you see a filet piece that you like and would like to make, but you cannot get the information for the source of the pattern and cannot find the item - is it allowed to chart the item yourself to then make (intending to make as a gift)?

Hi Marika. I thought that if you are making something for personal use, you wouldn't have to worry about copyright infringement. My internet access is limited right now, so I don't have time to seaarch here for discussion of similar questions, but I think it has been discussed before.

I agree there are no copyright issues if the item is intended for a gift. But here's a question for everyone (along these same lines)....

If you work up a filet from a photograph from the early 1900s (assuming it's in public domain), then chart it, can the chart be sold? Can the finished product be sold?

Here is my question:

If you see a filet piece that you like and would like to make, but you cannot get the information for the source of the pattern and cannot find the item - is it allowed to chart the item yourself to then make (intending to make as a gift)?

Yes, assuming we're talking about a copyrighted filet pattern, you can make your own chart for your own personal use. You can make an item to give away. You would not be able to sell any items you made, nor could you distribute (for sale or for free) any pattern you made.

I agree there are no copyright issues if the item is intended for a gift. But here's a question for everyone (along these same lines)....

If you work up a filet from a photograph from the early 1900s (assuming it's in public domain), then chart it, can the chart be sold? Can the finished product be sold?

If you create a new chart based on a filet photograph from a pattern from a time period that is now in the public domain, then yes, your new version would be copyrighted to you, and you could sell the pattern. However, you would only have rights to your particular representation of the pattern.

It would be perfectly all right for another person to come along, look at the same photo, create their own chart and write their own instructions, and then sell their pattern.

Since the original pattern is in the public domain, anyone can make their own version of it and sell it. Just like different book publishing companies can all publish their own edition of a Jane Austen book.

Hi Marika. I thought that if you are making something for personal use, you wouldn't have to worry about copyright infringement. My internet access is limited right now, so I don't have time to seaarch here for discussion of similar questions, but I think it has been discussed before.

Magiccrochetfan, thanks for the info... I always seem to have a difficult time implementing a search here, so took the lazy man's way out by starting a new thread... :blush

Yes, assuming we're talking about a copyrighted filet pattern, you can make your own chart for your own personal use. You can make an item to give away. You would not be able to sell any items you made, nor could you distribute (for sale or for free) any pattern you made.

Thanks for the definitive answer Amy :)

And thanks to all for your help and input :)

Archived