Seraphina shawl for my mom

I made my mom a Seraphina Shawl with Sensations boucle in shades of red. I worked hard on it because the yarn is fluffy and it was hard to see the stitches, but it was a labor of love and I really liked the self-striping. Well, Mom was not wowed like I expected. She crochets too, and I knew she would appreciate all my work, but she didn't go gaga. She said she would have made it in regular yarn and all one color. Sheesh! I guess I had expectations that were a little too high.

I'm sorry your mom wasn't thrilled! I know it can really hurt when we pour ourselves into our work. I agree with Diane. Everyone has different tastes, so its no reflection of your work if your mom didn't like it. Offer to make her a different one and keep the labor of love for yourself.

You know, I look at those Seraphinas made with Sensations and they look like a lot of fun to work, but in all honesty I can't imagine what I would wear one with. However I've made several solid-color Seraphinas and use them all. Please don't feel bad that your mother prefers a solid, Redheart. I agree with Diane: keep that one for yourself and make another for your mom. Maybe even make a special outing with her to pick out the yarn she loves — lunch at a tearoom or some other girl thing you would both enjoy.

Thanks for the support, ladies. I know she'll wear it when she sits outside in the evenings, which is why I made it. I just thought she would be more enthusiastic when she saw how gorgeous it is. I did model it and preen in front of the mirror before I gave it to her. I was very pleased with it and wanted the same reaction from her. Maybe the neighbors will see it and tell her how jealous they are, and I can get my validation from them. :lol

Archived