Ribbing at the end of a piece

magiccrochetfan

I am working on my technique by swatching a lot, and working out a design for a very simple v-neck sweater made from the top down. I am knitting combination style.

I've been practicing ribbing, using both 3-3 and 2-2. When I start a swatch with ribbing, i feel it looks good. But when I end a swatch with ribbing, the individual stitches look bigger than the stockinette stitches, and the ribbing sticks out from the stockinette. I don't want the ribbing to be really snug and pull in from the stockinette, I just want it to lie flat.

I am trying to keep the yarn snug as I switch from knit to purl, so I don't think that is the main problem. My binding-off method is getting better though it still needs work, but the ribbing looks this way even before I bind off. If I use smaller needles for the ribbing section, it looks better to me.

Is this normal, or do I just need to practice more?

I think that it is normal. You switching needle size is exactly what I would do to fix the problem (not that it means anything...lol).

It is normal.

A lot of sweater patterns have you switch to smaller needles for the ribbing. I know the Guideposts 'Knit for Kids' patterns have you using a smaller needle for the ribbing.

Just go with what looks and feels best to you and it will work out just fine. :clap

Generally you use needles a size or two smaller for the ribbing. Try that and see if that makes a difference for you.

Try this. I am not sure if you are working a pattern after your ribbing or not, so this might not work. Last night I was working a 1x1 ribbing and did a purl row first and then a knit row. The ribbing was not raised and melted into the stockinette so beautifully that I had to share. Many try that...purling the next row. Of course, the bigger the ribbing, the harder it may be to get it to blend.

Try this. I am not sure if you are working a pattern after your ribbing or not, so this might not work. Last night I was working a 1x1 ribbing and did a purl row first and then a knit row. The ribbing was not raised and melted into the stockinette so beautifully that I had to share. Many try that...purling the next row. Of course, the bigger the ribbing, the harder it may be to get it to blend.

I am not sure I understand...When you say do a purl row and then a knit row, that would be regular stockinette, right? Or do you mean to purl on the right side and then knit on the wrong side? (I guess that is reverse stockinette, isn't it?)

I am not knitting in a pattern, just stockinette and then the ribbing at the end.

I did realize that I was purling in a very awkward way in the ribbing, and I figured out a way to do that more simply, which I think helped some. I decided to practice knitting kind of a checkerboard of knits and purls to get more used to changing from knit to purl, that was a nice challenge for me:D

Have the last row that you work be a purl row. I am working in the opposite direction as you. I am working my ribbing first and then stockinette. And when I do this ribbing followed by a purl row the ribbing doesn't stand out as much. Did I explain that right?

Yes, I believe I understand, thanks! I tried putting a row of purl, on the right side, next to my ribbing, but I don't think it was an improvement for me. Am still practicing working the knit and purl stitches next to each other and I think I am maybe seeing some improvement. At this rate i will be starting on my sweater in 2009:lol

Archived