Teaching a Lefty?

YarnFeather

Question

My neice Lexie wants to learn to crochet something fierce! Everytime she is down, she BEGS me to teach her. :clap

She is a lefty and I am not, so I am not too sure how to teach her??? :eek2

I did buy her a few latch hook rugs to do and she flew right threw them and is not going to be put off this easily again! LOL :eek

My mother suggested us sitting face to face and have her mimmick that way it will be easier for me to correct and help her... what do you think??? Im at a loss here!! :help

HELLLLLP! :thinking2

Heather

7 answers to this question

I (a leftie) sat across from my mom (a rightie) and watched her make chains. Once I picked that up, I watched her make an sc and then she handed over a book with instructions for left-handed crocheters. :P As a leftie I can say that it's frustrating even this way, but it takes practice and patience. Then one day, she'll be hooked. :)

My daughter is a lefty and first we found a book for leftys learning to crochet. We even sat across from each other and I even took the hook in my left hand to try and give her an idea of how to start each stitch (very tricky for a righty) . The book helped the most because of the pictures of the stitches and hook placement. I think just letting her watch was helpful. We found out later that in fact my daughter is ambidextrous and prefers to crochet with her right hand. She figured it out on her own.

I think if you try everything (one at a time of course) she'll find the one that clicks with her and she'll be off and running

or should I say crocheting. I learned from a lefty who took the time to show me right handed, left handed and sat across from me and next to me and I've been crocheting ever since.

Good luck! Lisa

I'm a lefty and I agree, having her sit opposite you is probably best. (During my one attempt to learn as a kid, my mom had me sit next to her and that didn't work out so well...)

When I was learning, I found a Leisure Arts booklet at Walmart, I think it was I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting, that had illustrations of how to do things for both righties and lefties--that was really helpful.

Thank you so much! You guys are AWESOME! I am having her over this weekend for a "girls night out" pizza, movies etc... She is very excited.

She is estranged from my sister (thankfully) so I try to help them out as much as I can. This weekend its me and a 9 year old! LOL Woooo Hooo!! Uncle Jim will have to fend for himself!

I appreciate all your help! Heather

I learned from my mom, a lefty, by sitting opposite her. I didn't stick with it, but I retained the basics for when I decided to pick up a hook again.

~Tricia

Archived