doily pattern question

Bernadette

Hi - I posted this in the crochet help pattern - not too much luck there, so this is another try:

For all of you expert thread crocheters out there, I have been asked to make (2) doilies. This person likes a particular pattern but the pattern is for an 8" doily and she would like for it to be a 10". I'm not sure how to increase although I know it can be done. It would really mean a lot to her as they are replacing the doilies her grandmother gave to her that were stolen from a laundromat.

Petite Pineapple Doily

This doily pattern was found on the Crochet Pattern Central website and is the one in question. Any advice??

I love to make "larger" doilies by using double thread and a larger crochet hook. Have used up to a "C" I use two different colored (or one varigated) thread but two of the same color would work.

Hope this helps, Deborah

:) I am not very good with written instructions but as far as I understand most of the stiches are double crochet. If you try triple crochet instead double crochet or if you use badspread size (10) thread instead cabella/royal/A.Lydia (which is DMC Baroque, availlable at walmart/michaels) with reasonable prices, it makes it little larger.

Again, I am not very good with written inst. :)

Demet

I have made this doily several times and it works up beautifully!!

From what I know the usual way to increase the size in to increase the thread size. Since this works up to 8" in size 10 you could try to increase the size to a pearl cotton. I'm not real sure how much bigger pearl cotton is than size 10 but it should increase the size of the doily somewhat.

I have a large number of pineapple doily patterns that I will go through and see if I have something similar that will measure about 10" for you.

I will look tomorrow and post another reply.

One other option would be to continue the edging for several more rows increasing as you complete each row which would add some size.

I Love the Priscilla Hewitt patterns and know that she has listed her e-mail address on all of them. I have not been able to find any recent patterns by her but perhaps you could try to e-mail her and see if she could be of help.

It really is a great doily and would be worth making even though the size is a bit smaller than what you want.

Toni Horvath

Bernadette,

I looked through my patterns and found several which may work for you.

The links to the websites with these free patterns are as follows:

http://pandacrochet.8m.com/alorange.html

http://www.nancyscrochet.com/9PointPineappleDoily.pdf

*****************/web/20021016103931/members.aol.com/lffunt/ppdoily.html

All are pineapples and somewhat similar to the petite pineapple doily. The ones that are larger can be made smaller by using a smaller thread such as a size 20 or 30.

Hope this helps,

Toni

Archived