Crochet and Children

(i had put this in the crochet help section - d'oh should have put it here:P)

How would you suggest going about teaching an 8 year old how to crochet?

Are there any online video instructions geared towards kids?

She can be pretty impatient, so I think something that she can watch over and over again may help - plus she loves the computer, so she will listen to it better than me! :P and then I can be there for the support! :hook

Any good kids sites out there?

Thanks guys!!

When my Mom taught me (I was maybe 10, or even a little younger), I first learned to do a large granny square. You figure it's pretty repetitive, & because it works into a square, you can stop once you're either a) bored with it, or b)happy with the size it's at :D

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I first tried to teach my DD when she was 8, and again at 9, 10 and 11 <lol>

I think it "took" when she was 10 though. First I taught her to chain stitch and let her chain her little heart out. She made really long chains for the cat!

I taught her single crochet and she was doing OK but got confused with turning rows.

Finally one night SHE asked me to teach her how to make a circle. I started a circle and she happily sat and made 2 sc's in each stitch for round after round.

It never turned into anything but she's getting the hang of it.

I think the "round" is a good idea because ther are no rows.

I always fix her work every couple of rows so it looks decent and she won't wind up hating it.

• 4 months later...

I have taught all my girls. I started with a chain. I had them make bookmarks out of them and we tied pony beads on the end. I had them make one for or two for everyone we know. Then I had them make a red or green or white chain for the christmas tree. By the time they did about 30 book marks and the tree chain they had that down. We then move onto single crochet I had them do a tiny doll blanket the size for a beanie baby toy. They made those until they were comfortable. Then we did a single crochet scarf. And so on. The key is having them practice each step until they can do it without your help. At first be sure not to make them practice so long their hands hurt so maybe just 10 min. a day. Soon they will be begging to learn the next step. I also found that if I showed the I was frustrated with them that it really caused them to not want to do it. So just be cheerful no matter how much you want to grab the yarn and say "LIKE THIS" She will get it eventually!

Archived