Tips for Comfortghans

diamond

I know those that are collecting squares for comfortghan will appreciate these tips as will the receiver of the 'ghans. So if you have any tips regarding comforghans, please list them here.

1. When making squares, be sure to weave in the ends either as you go or after the square is finished.

2. Before you mail out your squares, attach a tag to the square with a piece of yarn stating your name, screen name, forum, city, state and email address. In case the recipient would like to thank each person individually. If it's all from the same forum, then that can be eliminated as the sender will let the receiver know what group it's from. If you feel uncomfortable putting your name & email address, that's fine, but at least put your forum name, city & state on the tag so the receiver will know where the square came from geographically at least. And please, attach a tag to each square, not just one.

3. When attaching the tags, do not knot them, just put a single tie or bow on them. This makes it easier for removal later on.

I know when I got a comfortghan when my mom passed, I had left the tags on for the longest time and would re-read them over & over again! Then because almost all of the tags had been knotted, I had to get scissors to cut them off and was so careful because the knots were tight & I had to squeeze the scissor blade between the knot and the 'ghan so as not to cut the 'ghan! And as I have just received so many squares from so many of you.....all without tags, I have just spent a good part of the day making tags and attaching them to each square so that Patti will know who sent which square. I had to do a bit of detective work to figure who was who and am still waiting for some confirmations from some as to if their squares are some of the ones I received.

Isn't it ok if some people want to stay anonymous to the person recieving the afghan? I think some of us get enough warm fuzzies just from hearing that the recipient loves it and does get some comfort from recieving the ghan.Just my thoughts kinda like the RAOK's some people choose to be anonymous in their giving and some don't ;)

I'm sure being anonymous is fine, but be sure then to let the joiner know you want to be anonymous. Besides adding tags to the squares, usually you send a list with the names of everyone who participated. :)

I'm sure being anonymous is fine, but be sure then to let the joiner know you want to be anonymous. Besides adding tags to the squares, usually you send a list with the names of everyone who participated. :)

I agree with Julie. You can be anonymous if you want, but usually the receiver likes to see who & where each square came from. And sending a list with the names of everyone who participated is a great idea. I had never thought of that. I'll be sure to do that with Patti's comfortghan. Thanx for the tip, Julie.

I understand that Alisha. That's why this thread is called 'Tips'....it's for everyone to post their thoughts or tips on how to make the 'ghans easier or useful things we've discovered along the way. There is no right or wrong tip. Just ideas for other people to use. You have a great tip. There are many people who won't want their info given out. And most times, I am one of them. It's all good.

Umm... I've sent out well over 60+ squares in the last week, to people on this board, on other boards, email lists, & clubs I belong to, & I didnt "tag" any of them. :( I am sorry, I didn't mean to make more work for anyone. I didnt even know that any info went to the recipient, except for our best wishes for them etc, now I feel horrible. :ohdear

Oh Tween don't feel bad you did a wonderful thing really very generous and caring. Don't feel bad you didn't know and that's not the point of the whole thing it's all about giving comfort :hug Nobody asked me to tag any of the ones I did either. I did them because I wanted to help someone in need of some comfort.

Here's one for ya! Ya know the last row? I didn't tuck in the end because when I put squares together, I just sew it into the seam. :( That's just the way I do it but,,,,the ones I just finished up, I made sure I tucked it in. :) Each square adds up and I love knowing that I had a part in giving somebody some comfort. :hug

Coralie

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad or upset for posting this tip thread. That was not my intention at all! I truly appreciate all the squares I've received from you. I was just thinking of future comfortghans that others may make.

Some people don't like to tag, others do. I just think (from experience) it's nice to be able to look at each square and see where it came from. It's my personal preference. Truly I didn't mind tagging the squares I've gotten. I just thought it would be good idea to create a thread giving tips on comfortghans and seeing what other people suggested.

Again, I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone or made them feel anything less than greatly appreciated for all their hard work.

Archived