To Tie-Dye a finished crochet product...

Darsa

I made my daughter a hat out of the Sugar & Cream white yarn :hook, and she wants to tie-dye it with the remains of the kit she used for several T-shirts. Is there anything I should be aware of before doing so? I think I'm a bit afraid to do the whole twisting and scrunching thing, for fear of it becoming misshapen, but I imagine we can do something colorful with it! :yay

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips :hug

It should look great , just be sure really saturate the piece making sure the dye gets between the stitches else it will have faded or a white look to it after its rinsed.

If you do a simple banding working from the top down it should not make it too mishappen. if it does simply rewash and reshape letting it drip dry on a rounded form such as a styrofoam ball setting on a towel on someplace flat.good luck sounds like fun

Well, it came out a LOT darker than she expected, and I think it's going to take a year or so to dry completely :heehee but it looks really nice!

Once it's dried enough to keep it's shape on it's own (it's currently on top of a bowl) I'll take a picture!

Thanks so much for the tips :hug

Now that is a good idea. Believe or not my 12 year old is the tie dye king, Honestly I have no idea how to do it and 2 years ago he did tie dye and entered it into the fair and won first place, little stinker, HA. I think I may do a hat and hand it over to him, thanks for the idea.

Archived