Icky Hooks

For rough places on plastic hooks, you can file them with an emery board or fine sand paper. Then, rub over them with some wax paper. I've done the same thing with wooden hooks. I've given away all the hooks that I didn't like. If you need some ultra-smooth aluminum hooks the Susan Bates Quicksilvers are the smoothest I've found.

I use steel hooks and the aluminum hooks, but because of my arthritis I have to use one of those blue cushins you can find at Hobby Lobby to cover the hook. I love the ones I bought several years ago. To me they jsut don't make them like they used to.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...I must be in the teeny minority who actually like plastic hooks. For me, as a beginner, I find aluminum hooks too slippery, if that makes sense. I've never had a plastic one break, but then again, I haven't gotten down to serious crochet projects yet. I just prefer the stability of a plastic hook, but maybe once I get established in my crochet I'll change my mind.

I can't stand the plastic ones; the yarn just doesn't slide as easily on them for me. And yep, I have a couple of hooks in my collection that are the "rough" feeling metal and I totally agree that they're impossible to use comfortably!

I've always used metal, never occurred to me to try the wooden ones. Maybe I'll splurge on one in my favorite hook size (I!) and try 'em out! :)

I only use the aluminum and steel. I have some plastic hooks, but rarely use them. Never used a wooden one. My sil gave me some things she found in the attic that belonged to their grandmother and it had a large wooden hook with the g/m's name etched into it, looked homemade. I keep it as a keepsake. I did buy a fancy hook at a LYS a while back, with a cushioned grip and I like it, it's an H, but seems bigger, more like an I. I forget about it most of the time.

Archived