Looking for some suggestions

EMedley

I want to start off saying that I LOVE yarn crafts.

BUT...

We have two kiddos, cats I should say... they are just like kids to me though. They tend to shed, and lately I am trying to find a food that is best for BOTH their coats/tummies/etc. So they are definitely spreading some kitty love around. I am guilty too, I shed hairs, loooooooong, brown hairs like MAD! I honestly do not know how I am still with a full head of hair. I have been noticing lately, especially if I work with light colors, that my hair becomes tangled in the stitches, and they kids roll around on anything they can or sleep on it if I'm not looking. I'm wondering if they is a way to prevent either of these. Ive tried the plastic bag thing, but after a few times of taking my WIP in and out, it gets all static and basically attracts hair/dander. I usually try to pull my hair up when I'm working on a project, but seriously! I can't catch them all. I have invested in a lint roller, and every so often I will run it over a project, and before I give it away. I also us either the allergen reducer/pet oder eliminator scents of fabreeze on them if they are gifts. I have family members with bad allergies to animals so I don't want them to have to suffer with a handmade project. Any better ideas? Its just kind of an annoyance, but I am not shaving my head any time soon, and that cats, yeah we won't go there.

On a funnier note... our little Oreo is OBSESSED with my yarn. I doesn't matter if I hide it away, he always manages to find a ball of it and unravel it from one room in our apt to the next. If he happens to get ahold of a skien of it, he is smart enough to find the inner end and unravel as much as he can. I am amazed at the damage he does in the course of one night with a small ball of yarn. I've tried making him yarn toys but he looses interest in those so fast its not worth it. Does any ones kids to this too??? :lol Next time I am able to catch him in the act with the camera I will be posting it for all you to see.

I have two dogs and one cat. My experience is that I can't leave any project lying around because one of them is sure to be on it. I keep ongoing projects in either tote bags or large plastic zippered bags that pillows, blankets or something come in. Then I put them in a closet or a room that's closed so they can't interfere with them when I'm not home. My lab does shed so I'm very careful about not allowing any project to touch the floor eventhough I vacuum every other day because I can't stand to have to sit and pick out his hairs from a project. I also usually launder items before I give away even though my pets haven't actually been on them. The other thing for me is if I know someone is really anti-pet I would not even voluntarily make something for them. I know that's sad, but that's just me, I wouldn't want to offend. It's not a big problem for me because everyone in my family loves animals. As for your own hair getting in projects, maybe someone else can advise on that, I have short hair so not a problem.

Also, not to be picky, but I don't think this is the correct place to have posted this. That may be why you haven't gotten more replies. If it's already moved somewhere else, I apologize.

I have the same problem with my doggie and my long hair, it happens! Like Cathy said get your projects in a zip loc or a container...you can get them at any discount or dollar store. I'm the same way about not volunteering or giving a hand made gift to anyone anti-pet/allergic. And I still inspect my projects before giving them out and still find a few little white doggie hairs here and there. The only other thing I can think of is to crochet in a sterile room, hee hee

As for your kitties food I suggest "California Natural", we have been through prescription foods, meds, etc...this food was the answer and no more meds, no more hair loss or throwing up. Don't feed them in plastic bowls be sure to use glass or ceramic bowls. And any toys they put in their mouths should be toxic free and keep their toys clean.

http://www.californianaturalpet.com go to "Where to buy" plug in your zip and pet stores that carry it will pop up. After one bag of food...really one or two weeks you will see a difference. Let me know how it goes!

Archived