Need help finding a stitch pattern

magiccrochetfan

This sweater http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_75_277&products_id=2395 has a really pretty stitch pattern at the bottom. They call it "trellis stitch", but when I googled I found a couple of other stitches that are kind of similar, but did not find this one. I don't have a knitting stitch dictionary. Is this a traditional stitch pattern that is in stitch guides? Can anyone point me toward something online to learn the stitch or a book that would have it? I don't want to make that sweater (although I am inspired by the size range and the plus-size model!)...I just want to find out how to make the "trellis". Thank you!

Just wanted to post that I looked in my "Complete Guide To Needlework" and I couldn't find that either.
Beth, what do you know, this book is the only knitting reference I have!:lol Mine is pretty old, from the late 70s I think. There is a simple cable that is similar but not the same. I tried to work it out on my own but I think the reverse stockinette background is what I am having trouble with, getting a knit stitch to come out of that.....Oh, I feel like such a beginner, I don't even know how to talk about knitting:eek

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/trellis.htm

I hope that this is the one you want to find.

Eileen

Thank you Eileen, I found that one too. It is similar but not the same. :)

Beth, what do you know, this book is the only knitting reference I have!:lol Mine is pretty old, from the late 70s I think.

Your'e right....Copyright 1979:D

Also looked into "Vogue Guide to Knitting" Copyright 1973

Domiknitrix and 2 mags I have . Still comming up with nothing close.:(

I think the stitch is called Elongated Lattice. I found a variation of the stitch here

(it's the second swatch down, you need to scroll down a bit)

It's the Ribbed Lattice with Bobbles. My best guess would be that the stitch came from Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting series.

It's not really a trellis stitch. It's more like a variation of ribbing. I know how to do it, but I'd have to chart it out before I could explain it. I'll have time tonight, I'll see what I can come up with.

You all are so nice to look for this for me! Really I don't want anyone to go to too much trouble over my question.

I don't know if my knitting skill is up to the task of trying to do this kind of stitch pattern....I think my reach exceeds my grasp at this time:lol

Beth, thank you for continuing to look for it!

Adrienne, thank you, it is so nice of you to offer to work it out. If you really feel like doing it, I would love to have the info. But I feel guilty asking you to do it, because I'm not sure I'll be able to actually knit it :think if I had the pattern in front of me.

ClassicCrochet, thank you for the reference, that is a cool site, I bookmarked it. Coincidentally I checked out from the library Walker's treasury of Knitting Patterns yesterday. That is an overwhelming variety of stitches!! I agree, if you isolate one line of the Ribbed Lattice, it is the same as what I'm looking for. It involves some knit into the back loop and purl into the back loop, which sounds really complicated to do. Also I am knitting combination style so already knitting into the back loop.

I've tried a few things to achieve this look but I think I'm just not coordinated enough yet to get a decent-looking knit stitch on the purl background. Well, I just realized, duh, I guess I should just practice getting one knit stitch on a purl bkgrd, and then when i can do that, maybe i'll be able to get the k st to travel. :idea

Thanks for talking to me about it!

Yay :yay I figured it out! I am sure the stitch count is not the same as the picture in the first post, but I made a swatch with a reverse stockinette background and traveling knit stitches th_100_2835.jpg

I used a stitch marker to hold the stitches I needed to move, like using a cable needle. I can't cross stitches on the needle; I think my tension is too tight, or I'm just not coordinated enough. Anyhow, I'm happy, I can do this. I am planning a very simple sweater and I *might* add a border of this stitch.

Thanks again for all the input and encouragement :ccompute:knit:manyheart

:lol Welcome to the dark side :hug

Yeah, it feels like I'm venturing into new territory for sure! I am so used to just knowing how to do things in crochet, or at least feeling very confident that I can figure it out....knitting is uncharted territory for me!

Holy Smokes that was fast!! You have the skills for sure. You must have a natural ability. I am green with envy.
Well, i don't know about ability:lol but I have a lot of free time right now, and I'm determined to *understand* how to do a few things in knitting. And you can see I only did one set of lines; figuring out stitch count for an overall pattern of this would give me a headache I'm sure:lol

Wow! I'd say you've got natural talent too! And since I am a newbie to knitting, I wouldn't take this as correct, but for stitch count, wouldn't you just count the stitches in one pattern ,from the farthest point to the next.......where the wandering knit sts would touch (hope that made sense) and just multiply that by how many repeats of the pattern you wanted....? Well, and maybe add a couple at each edge.......:think

ETA: Oh, also, that would make a nice scarf pattern too.....

Thank you for the compliments, you are too kind.

Amyjk, you are probably right about the stitch count. My brain was hurting from thinking about making the stitches travel, so I didn't want to think about repeats:blush

ClassicCrochet, I have some heathery dark green Cascade wool that I am planning to make the sweater with. The swatch in the pic is I Love This Yarn, which I really like working with but I don't like it so much after it washed. The wool is smaller so more challenging for me to knit with. I have to figure out how I'm going to actually make the sweater--will use a top I have for outline--And I think I'll make a mini-sweater first to test my idea. Trying to learn to make smooth increases now!

If you ask me it looks like a twisted stitch. I got a new book (thanks to the kids book fair) that is about knitting...awesome reference guide. But anyways, I looked it up and this is what I found.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/twbraided.htm

Is this what you are talking about? To me you would work it this way until you reach the desired about of ovals/diamonds, then start knitting instead of purling.

Does that help?

Karin, that stitch is very close, but in the one I was seeking the lines don't actually cross. I did get it figured out, see above.

You said you got a reference book you like, I'd love to know which one it is:)

I got "The Big Book of Knitting". It is awesome. (see my post about YO and decrease problems). It is a huge book (I guess that is where the got the name for it...lol) but I like it because of the pictures are truly large enough to see what it is they are talking about. That is where I saw that pattern at and then looked it up on the net to find something similar. PLease let us know of your progress. I love that sweater!!!

Archived