questions about needle felting

moonrhythm

i just received a box full of yarn, mostly wool. some of the wool came in little packets, titled "100% Merino Wool Fleece" for hand or machine needle felting. I've never felted so i'm a little lost. does anyone know of a good tutorial site where i can get some tips for first timers? or anyone have any tips to offer me? and would i need to wet this first? it's already fulled or i'd be knitting or crocheting it for sure!

I don't think the needle felting you're talking about is where you crochet a piece, then throw it in the washer/dryer. This form of needle felting is where you take a very sharp needle with a barb at the end. You keep sticking the needle into the "ball" of wool until it starts to form the object you're trying to make, i.e, the body of a teddy bear.

The needle is one that allows the wool fibers to bind to each other and create the piece of "art." There are different sized needles for different projects.

When I attempted needle felting, I stabbed myself more than I did the wool. So I gave it up so I could save my life. Anyway, here's a link to what seems to be a good tutorial: http://allbuttonedup.wordpress.com/2006/12/02/needle-felting-a-tutorial/

You can needle felt small objects...or wet felt the fleece/roving into beads, which can be used for jewelry or pony-tail holders. An internet search for "needle felting" will bring up a lot of possibilities. You can also use needle-felting to embellish felted purses or hats.

Here is my post on the Fall felted purse that I made. I crocheted the purse with 100% wool yarn. After it was felted I needle felted wool roving into the leaf shapes. This ebay auction is the kit that I bought. I'm not sure exactly what you have....roving is not already felted....it is actualy what yarn looks like before it's spun. Do a google search on needle felting....lots of tutorials will come up.

Archived