Thread crochet question

DiannaF

Greetings. I'm new to this board and have a burning question!

I'm two years into a thread crochet tablecloth. I noticed last night that some of the first few blocks are starting to yellow. What can I do about this? Can I bleach the yellow out? Two months ago I began storing the work in a photo box, but before that it was in a plastic bag.

Does anyone have information to share about perserving our treasured works?

Thanks,

Dianna

I may be bad wrong with my answer, but this has always worked for me. I use white vinegar and bleach diluted with water. It helped me to get the yellow out of some white squares my Granny made about 40 years ago. I used a very mild solution and let the squares soak overnight. Then rinsed very very well.

Is the photo box made from acid-free materials? Then it's OK to use.

People don't ever believe any advice I give them online...lol...but here goes again.....DO NOT store heirloom fabrics (quilts, cotton crochet doilies and tablecloths, etc.) in plastic. Fibers need to breathe...plastics won't allow that. The acid from wooden shelves in your linen closet and cardboard boxes will deteriorate your fibers. Wrap your fabrics in acid-free tissue paper for storage...or an acid-free box that will allow it to breathe.

Archived