County fair entry

I'm thinking about making something to enter into the county fair. This will be the first time for me to enter anything into the fair. Does anyone have any advice for me? I am thinking about maybe a baby blanket, but I'm not sure yet. The fair's website says that all entries must be in a clear plastic bag. What would I do for a blanket or afghan?

If you do an afghan or blanket, you can put it in a clear tall kitchen trash bag. I had to hunt for these at the stores to make sure the ones I got were not semi-opaque. When I found the totally clear ones, I bought the biggest box they had.

These bags are so handy. You can fold your blanket how you want it and slide it into the bag. Instead of using a twist tie, just fold any extra of the bag neatly on the back side and tape it closed.

Good luck at the fair!

Make what you love to make!:)

I enter my things in the fairs too, and it's nice that your fair displays in clear bags. By the time I get my stuff back after a week of dust and animals, they all need washed, sometimes twice, before I can store them away.

I try to attend judgings when I can and pick up tips. Here are a couple things I learned from going to the judgings. They look for blocking. I don't normally block my blankets, but for the competition ones, I do now! The judgings I've been to, they line up corners and check for square. They look for knots, so hide them well if you have to use them. They check the color changes to make sure they're uniform. And they look for overall appearance, choice of color combinations and technical work (are your stitches uniform and even.) It can be a lot of fun to watch them judge, and I don't envy them having to make the choice. I've seen so many beautiful items!

The baby category, in my area, is always the largest category. Check with your fair board if they have a list of all the categories they judge in. I think here there are 16 different categories, from single color, to multiple, to granny, to southwest, etc. You might get some inspiration!:think

Good luck! Have fun!:cheer

Colleen

Thanks for the info. It will be very helpful. I'm still not sure what I'll make. These are my choices:

Afghan

Novelties: potholders, Holiday

Tablecloth

Coat, Sweater, Shawl, Vest, Poncho

Hat

Baby Afghan

Baby Sweater

Edging on Pillowcase - one pair

Doily 12" and under

Doily over 12"

Pillow

Holiday Ornament(set of 6)

Other than named

I don't know if crocheted baby clothes would go with the rest of the clothes or in the other category.

These are my choices:

Afghan

Novelties: potholders, Holiday

Tablecloth

Coat, Sweater, Shawl, Vest, Poncho

Hat

Baby Afghan

Baby Sweater

Edging on Pillowcase - one pair

Doily 12" and under

Doily over 12"

Pillow

Holiday Ornament(set of 6)

Other than named

Oooh, so many choices! Have fun picking out your patterns and yarns! :cheer

Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Pictures, OF COURSE! :lol

Colleen

I use plastic bags from th DryCleaners myself, because they are thin, and nice, and if you go and ask real nice, they will usually give you a couple, they have all sizes too, so make sure you know if you want, say a shirt bag, or comfortor bag.....I DID have ONE that charged me, but it was MINIMAL....

they are thin enough to see the work great, and I just love them...and I am CHEEP...lol...

I use plastic bags from th DryCleaners myself, because they are thin, and nice, and if you go and ask real nice, they will usually give you a couple, they have all sizes too, so make sure you know if you want, say a shirt bag, or comfortor bag.....I DID have ONE that charged me, but it was MINIMAL....

they are thin enough to see the work great, and I just love them...and I am CHEEP...lol...

Thanks! That's a great idea!

Archived