waders anyone - and crochet club report

hay ya'll,

we NEED to quickly crochet some hip waders here in the st. louis area. my house is safe, but we are surrounded by rivers and they're all at or above flood level! there are any number of shops that can't be driven to because of highway (not interstate) and secondary road closures.

our monthly crochet club met last night. here's the show 'n tell:

rita is working on more of her now internationally famous felted coasters. she's stocking up! she's also working on a lovely seraphina shawl in laceweight yarn and is nearing completion of a seraphina in a mohair-ish yarn in MY PINK that she really needs to donate to my cause - all things pink!

ronnie is also working on a laceweight seraphina shawl. really lovely. ronnie's also working on a dodecahedron (hope i got that right) baby toy. in true ronnie style, she has completely turned the printed directions upside down to make the item far easier to crochet than the designer did!

georgia was crocheting an edging onto the knitted peacock shawl to top her daughter's wedding dress in september. it's a true work of art - and one of two shawls that georgia is knitting for erin! apparently erin's gown is both white and ecru, so this shawl is ecru and the next will be white so erin can decide which she wants. can i please get adopted??? georgia will also be demonstrating sock knitting at a local birkenstock store this saturday (at the robin's shoe store in creve coeur).

dj was about to complete a lovely baby afghan of her own design in an off white color edged in the 'ocean' blend of colors that includes just the right off white in its color mix. the babyghan is just lovely. dj's also working on a plaid afghan for her granddaughter in hot pink, green, and yellow. this is the one she had to frog several inches of when i noticed during the MO fiber festival that it was 'shrinking'. she had picked up the wrong hook at some point and happily crocheted away for about 8 inches. this afghan is really cute and was worth the extra frogging.

teresa showed off her st. patrick's day green and white scarf and is still working on her red coccoon sweater.

joan was knitting ANOTHER feather and fan shawl! that's joan's favorite pattern and she always has one in progress. the yarn she is using is a lily in the color 'bronze green' which is a nubby yarn so old (or cured as my son would say) that the address on the label does not include a zip code! did i tell you that joan has a stash that includes one of those rent-it-yourself units???

my show and tell was - drum roll - my completed sweater from the mind of ken jones - that crochet guy. will post a picture of it on my blog. ken - you write really clear pattern instructions!! worth the small fee on ken's etsy shop. however, the colorway is bright - pinks, coral, wine - from a worsted weight bernat supervalue 'think pink' yarn and my poor husband allows as how he needs to put on his sunglasses to look at me. LOL. too bad! i LOVE it! however, i'm gonna make it again using a smaller yarn and actually following ken's instructions regarding hook size. i used a new M (clover metal/bamboo) hook - which i love - but it needs to be about one size smaller - which it will be if i actually follow ken's instructions!

we had a good time and got to catch up on the latest crochet books and mags at the shop, as usual, not to mention pet (and purchase) lots of yarn.

jd in st. louis

Archived