Square Swap

This crochet-a-long is for anyone who likes making and receiving different squares. I guess it would be a round robin cal. After making a few scrap squares, I seem to lose the motivation to continue with my afghan or whatever project I'm working on. Hopefully, this will be a way to meet some new friends and give/recieve some lovely pieces.

I prefer bigger squares, so the squares for this swap will be eight inches or so. They can be any pattern square and any color you want. Whoever joins this cal, we will be partnering up every week, and then making a square and sending it to each other. Hopefully by the time people get tired of this thread, we will have gathered enough squares together to make something and donate.

So come on in and join the party! We'll start this coming monday, March 17th. I'm making a shamrock square for that one. Everyone post what kind of square you'll be making, and then correspond by messaging who's sending to who. I think this will be a great way to maybe get rid of your old stashed squares, or use up scrap yarn (my predicament!) :yay let's get to it! :crocheting

Sounds like a great idea to me. What time frame are we looking at? Will this be for a few months or longer? Will people be able to request colors or is it totally a scrapghan and any color is fine?

I think this might be a fun idea!!!!

Thanks for thinking of it and heading it up.

Debbie

uwcheese

I think it should be as long as the thread survives; If people drop out of the race, or if it gets boring then we'll drop it. And it'll just be a scrap-ghan, I love afghans with different color schemes; it makes it fun to find a coordinating color to border it with! When someone decides they have enough squares to finish the project, post it! And a picture!

I've always wanted to do something like this, but I'm a teenager, so when I started crocheting, I didn't have the resources to send the squares or communicate, so this is a project dream of mine! :c9 so thank you all who will participate!:hug:manyheart

P.S. Nice meeting you, Debbie. :D

Yay! Let's get going! I can't wait to post my first square! So I'm going to now.:blush anyone else feel free to start.

My fist square is this pattern: http://dayna.tdgservices.com/ShowPattern.aspx?PatternID=53

and it's in a deep pink, almost magenta.

:yarn

P.S. If you're having trouble finding a pattern for eight inch squares,

http://crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/8in_squares.php

or

crochetpoets collection.

• 2 weeks later...

:eek Oh My Gosh I totally forgot about the square swap! Please dont kill me! :D

The square that I was working on didnt work out so after I put it aside I guess it slipped my mind! Let me know if you are still interested in doing a swap!

:hook

Hi! My name is Sharon and after weeks of just looking around WISHING I could join Crochetville, I finally did because of this swap. I taught myself to crochet about 5 years ago and just love it, but in June 2007 I started up a jewelry business that has taken up just about all of my "crafting" time (both crochet and scrapbooking). I discovered Crochetville a few weeks ago and longed to join, but knew I couldn't because I didn't have the time to do as much crochet as everyone else, but when I saw your square swap, I thought, "I can do that!" So here I am. (I guess I should do a formal introduction in the Into forum)

I'd like to join this swap if I could. I'd like to do one of the Pricilla Hewitt squares. I'll choose one later tonight. Would it be possible for me to request that squares done for me be done in cream or off-white? I want a solid colored afghan as oppossed to a multi-colored one. I'll create whatever color square others would like.

Anyway, count me in if you're still doing the swap!

Thanks,

Sharon

Sharon, I learned from past swaps that if you ask for a certain color, you would not believe how many different shades of the same "color" there are. I did one in basic red. I requested that it not be lighter red or darker, but just regular red often labeled as red or bright red. I received squares that were pinkish red all the way to purplish red. I checked at Herrschners and put all of the "basic reds" together and yes, they are all different.

Now you know just because I said this, your color choice may work out fine........But just so you are prepared if it is not.....You could get anywhere from creams to beiges to taupes.....Just a thought.....

Welcome aboard! I love it here and have learned so much and made some good friends....

Debbie

uwcheese

Archived