Hat design help?

For a couple of years now I've been wanting to make a hat like this one:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=48984.0

Unfortunately, my head is much bigger than average hat-sizes, and I can never find a hat in any store that fits me. So I want to make my own out of white cotton.

I think I can get on fine once I get the top circle big enough...but my question is, how do I know what's big enough? I tried a couple of times last year but it took so long to get to the point where I stopped increasing and just crocheted around to make the "tube" part that when it didn't fit, I got tired of it and quit.

Does anyone know of any kind of forumulas or anything that will help me figure out how many stitches to increase without having to actually DO it over and over again till I hit on the magic number?

Thanks so much for any help! Utah is very sunny all spring and summer and my skin/hair burn so easily. :)

I don't know it off the top of my head, but there is a formula and I've seen it here. Hopefully someone will come along who knows it or will find it for you. I think I printed it off, so I will look at home tonight.

Oops, here I found this, hope it helps

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53276&highlight=head+circumference

My basic hat pattern is to ch 4, join with a sl st in beginning ch. Ch 3, and 15 dc in that circle. When I have someone with a very large head to crochet for, I had another st to my beginning ch 4 for a ch 5, and do 4 more dc in the circle for a total of 20 st instead of 16. It's always worked. .

It is largely a function of pi to get the relationship between the diameter of a circle and its circumference. (where Pi = 3.1416)

There is a nifty little site that will do the math for you.

You expand the circle to get the dimensions you have and see the circumference or you can watch the circumference you want while pulling the circle out.

Darski, I will have my husband look at that site with me when he gets home from work...he is really good at math.

Stitchgirl, I am cracking up now at my own blond-ness (I am a honey-colored blond, so no one be offended, please! :) )...I had totally forgotten that I ever asked this question before. I can't imagine why I didn't look at that thread after I started it and see the replies. Thanks for reminding me! :lol

Autumn, I'm not sure I understand...you're saying that your hats are only 20 stitches around before you stop increasing? That seems waaay too small to me.

Thanks for the help, guys.

No No No. That was me not thinking. I was just sharing an idea of how to increase the size of the crown a bit, so I didn't share the pattern. One of the patterns I use a lot calls for:

ch 4, join with a sl st in beginning ch. Ch 3, and 15 dc in that circle.

Row 2: Ch 3, *2 dc in next st, dc in next st*, repeat around to the last st and 2 dc. Join with a sl st in top of ch 3.

Row 3: Ch 3, dc in next st, *2 dc in next st, dc in next each of next 2 st*, repeat around to the last st and 2 dc. Join with a sl st in top of ch 3.

I am not sure if this will help you in the pattern you are using or not.

Oh, ok, thanks. I was pretty sure it had to be something like that. :)

ETA: Darski, that pi site is awesome!! I didn't have Java installed so when my husband got home, he told me I could install it and then it worked. I'm so glad I know how big to make the top circle now!

Archived