Here's a question for everyone...

crochetrenee

Question

I am curious to know how many crocheters out there prefer synthetic yarn vs. natural fibers, wool, alpaca, angora, silk, etc....? I am working on some book ideas and wanted to know how many are currently using the natural fibers. Thanks!:think

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly use wool, cotton or cotton blends and acrylics. I love wool the most, but I don't think it's really practical for the afghans I make, so I keep it for bags and other smaller articles. I like cotton blends for drapey wearables and acrylics for afghans,scarves, hats, etc. I'd love to use more natural fibers like the bamboo, soy, etc., but they are too expensive for me as a rule.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback everyone! Not quite what I had expected...but helpful nontheless. If anyone else wants to add their two cents worth, I would like to hear it! I do agree that acrylic yarns do make the best afghan yarns, due to the cost. I am also a spinner, so I have a partiality to natural fibers like wool, alpaca, etc. I also keep 2 angora bunnies, so that is a reasonably low cost source ( in the long run) for angora. Would like to hear from others regarding this topic!

:hook

:crocheting If I was going to choose my favouritest project and yarn - I pick Mohair, mohair/acrylic blends, for making afghans.

I don't make that many sweaters (living in the Northern Territory!), and I will use acrylic if making baby blankets or sets because washability is an issue.

Personally, I dont like the 8ply (or worsted) weight acrylics :yuck - I hate the way they feel on the hook (that squeaky icky noise) and I very rarely use it for anything other than toys.

I guess I am lucky in that I don't have to adhere to a yarn budget so I don't feel bad about buying alpaca, silk and merino when I see :yarn yarn :yarn I want on :ebay . I also tend to buy in bulk from the Wool Mills in Victoria as my LYS is 650 kms by air :2eek.

Archived