Designers Block, Wearables?

I'm slowly realizing a horrible thing::eek

I've not once designed my own pattern:(, and the closest I could come to "designing" a project is modifying an existing pattern:angry. I feel horrible about that. I almost feel like a cheat, just because I don't know how to write my own patterns.:yarn

I also seem to be a blundering idiot when it comes to crocheting wearables:no. I just can't wrap my head around it:help. It's just not something that makes sense to me. On top of that, I'm an odd size, so I can't make anything for myself without having to change the pattern to even fit my wierd body.:badidea:faint

I'm off my soap box now. :soap

Ashleigh, I think you are really being too hard on yourself! Give yourself credit :yay for being the unique and beautiful individual that you are (we all are :) ) You possess more creativity than you think you do. As far as fitting garments, you know most women think they have a "weird" size or shape, you are not alone in feeling that way.

Looking at some of your previous posts, you talked about going through a hard time right now. I think you might need to give yourself some hugs :hug and just take the time you need to deal with sorrow.

As far as creating wearables---Have you read Crocheting In Plain English by Maggie Righetti? It talks about the structure of crochet and the author wants to convey understanding so the reader can branch out, understand the way garments are made, and not always have to follow a pattern. It shows how to build shapes in crochet. It might help you with visualizing wearables. You might want to seek it out from your local library.

The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman also has good short sections on how to create shapes.

It is absolutely not necessary to be able to WRITE a pattern in order to CREATE your own design. I can crochet a lot of things that I have no desire or patience to write down. Also, as far as adapting existing designs, what is wrong with that? I think that is how a lot of us work. I have see a lot of very creative things on here that are described as adaptations. As long as you are making things for yourself and not trying to sell a plagiarized pattern, that is just fine.

To loosen up your creativity, have you ever tried freeform crochet? There is a lot of info and links to more, in the Freeform section here. Just looking there might get some ideas flowing.:artist

I'm slowly realizing a horrible thing::eek

I've not once designed my own pattern:(, and the closest I could come to "designing" a project is modifying an existing pattern:angry. I feel horrible about that. I almost feel like a cheat, just because I don't know how to write my own patterns.:yarn

Why would you be a cheat? The only thing that would make you not designing original patterns lead to you being a cheat is if you claim to be a designer. Crocheters crochet... Do you crochet? (:yes) Then you are a crocheter.

There is no law that says that you have to design (or even modify) patterns in order to be a crocheter, or even to be creative. You take a long skinny piece of material and a hard, curved implement and a page of letters or symbols and through your own effort produce a finished product whatever it might be. :yay That sounds pretty creative to me.

:manyheart

Cheers,

Marika

Not everyone has to or is able to design. I have never been "bitten" by that bug! Way to much thinking (and frogging) involved.:lol

As far as wearables. I never thought I could crochet them either. I started with baby sweaters and saw that I could follow the pattern. I just made my 28 yo DD a wrap around sweater and it actually came out right and she loves it!

Stop That!! you just need some love, some hugs, and some time off! You have been through a bad time, and it is NOT the time to Beat YOURSELF up!!! You are loved, and you need to relax, and let yourself heal. I looked at your blog, and you are a lovely young lady, nothing weird about you! You are attractive, cute, and brave. So take a deep breath, and get some sleep. Then try again tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that. Tomorrow will always be here for you, just as we at the 'ville are, OK? Designs are usually based on someone else's idea, we just "cheat" to make it ours, except it isn't cheating.........it's CREATING!!!!!!!! Got it? love you, hon, and keep your head up, and your eyes open. PM me if you like. I'm a grandma, and would love to hear from you!

Archived