First commissioned crocheted piece!

I can't believe it~WOOOHOOOO! My Aunt LOVED the Entrloc Wrap I made her from Crochet Today, and so she now wants to pay me for a baby blanket for my cousin! I am soooo excited!!! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~I guess I didn't think that would happen so soon~I've been crocheting since September!

I'm not sure if you're going to use a pattern of your own design or a copyrighted pattern designed by someone else.

What I'm about to say is meant as a general reminder about copyright issues to anyone who wants to sell crocheted items using a pattern designed by someone else.

Be sure that the pattern you are using specifically gives permission for items made from the pattern to be sold. (Most magazines have a disclaimer that says you may not sell items made from the patterns in them, for example.) If the pattern does not state that outright, check out the company's website for more information. If you can't find any statement specifically giving you permission to sell what you've made, you need to assume that you can't sell the item. This applies both to patterns available for purchase and those available for sale.

What you can do, though, is send the designer/copyright holder an email to ask for permission to sell the item you've made from a pattern that "belongs" to you. (As in you purchased it or downloaded it from somewhere.) If you're just making one item, many designers are happy to give you permission to sell that item.

You can also have the person who wants you to make them smomething purchase or obtain the pattern so they own it, then they pay you for your time and effort of making the pattern. Once you finish the item, you return the pattern to the person who commissioned you.

Amy, I really appreciate your sharing this!!! It's been on my mind for later when I wanna sell hats, and it certainly comes in handy now! *THANK YOU!* (((((HUGS))))) sandi

btw~the wrap was a gift for her birthday!

You're very welcome! And just to clarify for everyone, there's no problem at all with copyright if you give away items you've made from copyrighted patterns!!

Archived