A dishcloth question...

I posted this on another thread about dishcloths but I don't think anyone seen it so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I was wondering what happens when you use say red and white and pink for a dishcloth (using cotton yarn of course) and then wash it using bleach? Or if you're like my grandma and put a little bleach in the dishwater. Either way, don't the colors bleed? I have been reluctant to make her any with brighter colors because of this.

Angela :manyheart

I don't know about red, but I have made a few with variegated colors ranging from blue/green to pink/purple to yellow/green. I don't bleach every time I wash the dishes but I do put in a drop or two most of the time. I have not had much color fading at all. The pink/purple did bleed a bit the first few times I used it now, it doesn't bleed at all (I made it about a year ago).

Actually, I have a couple of red/pink variegated ones and they did bleed for a while when I washed them in hot water, but they don't seem to after a few washings. I use the Shout Catchers with my laundry now which cuts down on bleeding considerably.

Does washing them in vinegar work for reducing bleeding? I am making several for charities and have used bright colors. Didnt even think about the possibility of them bleeding. So, better wash them before I give them away.

thanks, Debbie

I found that my dishcloth that is has pastels colors on... faded considerably with just using regular ivory soap. I use them as washcloths for the kids to use.

I did however use a p&c red and white cotton yarn to make a dc and it did run when I washed it. So, I've chosen to stay away from those colors.

Most cotton dishrags will bleed over time using bleach in the wash water. I don't use bleach in my dish water, but I always bleach the dishrags when I wash them....Now i've been using clorox premium bleach and I also use shout color catchers at least the first couple times and it seems to work pretty well! At least using bleach you know they're clean!

Archived