Fluffy yarn + babies?

I have a question for people here. I just made an afghan using two strands of yarn - one white WW and one strand fluffy fun-fur stuff. It is SOOOO soft and nice. My question would this be good for a baby afghan???? The fluff does not shed. Would this be pulled or eaten or nibbled or otherwise not good for a baby?? I don't have children so I don't really know whether this woulkd be appropriate or not... Advice would be great. I am thinking of making a few small blankets to give away as baby shower gifts but don't want to if a Mom wouldn't want her baby in this type of blankie. Here is what the one I made myself looks like:

th_DSC07706.jpg

It is SOOOOO soft and fluffy

Thanks for your advice and input :hug

I might be afraid of the chewing off of the fluffy part. Kids can really damage a blanket, and possibly chokeon the fluff.

I would give it to someone who is done with the chewing stage, maybe over three. Just my opinion.

:manyheart

In addition to the fluffy stuff getting up their nose etc, I would be concerned as to how you might launder this. I mean babies pewk and poo on anything, and I think something easier to launder and dry might be more suitable for a new bub.

adorable blanket! It looks so soft and cuddly!

I agree with everyone about the different hazards for the wee little ones. There are many yarns made specifically for the babies that are all soft and cuddly.

Are any of your neighbors Grandma's? Whenever I had a question about baby stuff I always asked mine. Without being able to really see the blanket up close it's hard to tell.

Most people here (just one of the things I love about this place) err on the side of caution. If you'd asked about acrylic pot holders (and there's a post on it recently too) most people would tell you not to since they will melt at high temps. (They don't actually melt and get liquidy - they just smoosh flat).

I would be more concerned that the 'fluff' yarn would itch eventually. My other thought would be will it hold up to laundering? It might turn out to be the baby's favorite blanky.

It could be used as a stroller blanket for a toddler. Sometimes, we all buy for the infant forgetting that, that stage goes so fast! Its nice to give gifts that they will need later.

Archived