how to store white cotton thread items

I crochet a lot of Christmas ornaments from cotton thread and would like to know if someone knows how to store these so that they do not turn yellow. The ones I have after a year or two look so bad I can't use them anymore.

One idea is to try to find acid free tissue paper...it's the acids that usually cause the yellowing...although the stiffener could also be at fault. If you can find pale blue tissue paper (pref. acid free) that works the best, as the blue counters the yellowing. The thread snowflakes I made several years ago, actually lie flat in a plastic box with all the other ornaments, and Ihaven't had a problem yet...but I've heard about the blue tissue for white fabrics (not thread) too...ummm, climate control (humidity) might also be a afactor...in that case, something that absorbs moisture (like those silica packets in shoe boxes etc) could be tucked into whatever you use to store your ornaments.

that's all I'm coming up with right now.

HTH

Thanks, I'll try to find some of the tissue paper. I keep them in plastic boxes with lids already. I use laundry starch instead of fabric stiffener or glue because it seems to do a better job and doesn't yellow as quickly. Thank you for the help

Well, I guess I'm bad. I have crocheted snowflakes that I put on my tree every year. I think I got a bunch from the dollar store. I just toss them in the box with the rest of the ornaments that aren't glass. I've been doing that for at least the last 6 or 7 years and they're still in great shape. Hard to believe but true.

THat is funny I had the same concern but it was about larger items like tablecloths and my AUnt who used to work at a cleaner who packed wedding gowns told me that packing them in acid free blue tissue paper is waht they used and it seems to work the other thing i do is use my food saver and vacumn pack the tablecloth sure it has to be ironed the next year but i would do that anyway so there is no issue there. good luck

I wash my snowflakes occasionally.

Just take off the hangers and put all the snowflakes in one of those mesh bags. Toss them in with a load of white laundry that you would use bleach in. Use a second rinse cycle if your washer has one. They come out fine (unless you hate to block and starch again). It probably wouldn't work well with some fabric stiffeners but its great when you used laundry starch.

Sheryl

Archived