Help! Needing advice, please!

Hello, I was asked yesterday at work by a co-worker, how much it would cost her for me to make her a doily of about 25 inches in diameter. I told her that I don't really know and that I just gift my doilies, because usually I can't keep up to sell anything.

I've sold some blankets that I've done, but still gift most of them. I know it would be for yarn products, the cost of yarn X 3. I've never done anything like this for a thread project.

Should I just gift it or how much would I ask for?

Stuck in a bind,:think

Marie

i would look on etsy to get an idea of fair pricing - find something comprable in size and intricacy and then think about how long it would take you to make the doily for this person and if you'd be willing to accept the 'going rate' and if she'd be willing to pay it...

I have no idea how to answer....have never come close to selling anything. A 25" doily in size 10 or smaller :eek thread is going to take many hours of time and concentration. All I can say is, i wouldn't feel obligated to just give the person a huge doily because she asked....unless it's a good friend and someone you would normally make this kind of gift for.

Also, who is picking out the pattern? Is it one you are familiar with, or something new to you. Would be pretty frustrating to commit oneself to making a pattern then find out there are problems with it.

I think it depends on if you want to make a "friends price" or charge more.

When I make things for friends I charge 2 x the yarn cost, when I sell through my site I charge 3 x the yarn cost.

Thank you all for all the great advice. I wanted to get an idea of what some prices would be, before I said anything to her. I do have an idea on which doily she was wanting, so that would not be a problem, because I made it twice last year and I have the color she would like too. No agreement yet, but I know how to go about this now.

Thank you again,

Marie

Archived