Craft show luck?

So, last Christmas my sister in law set herself up at a couple of craft fairs to sell her beaded jewelry (which is gorgeous, btw) and did almost NO business. She was very disappointed, and I don't blame her.

I was thinking, maybe this Christmas coming up I could split the cost of a craft fair table and put out some crocheted things as kind of a "draw" :) And to make a bit of extra Christmas money, if it works out.

The thing is, I don't want to have the same experience she did; she's now making "cheaper" jewelry and is planning to have that available as well since the stuff she's made in the past has been genuine semi-precious stones and sterling and, truthfully, more expensive than people are looking for in the kind of fairs she attended. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with craft fairs seling crocheted things; what sells well, what doesn't, if it's a waste of time/money, etc...

Oops, forgot to add an OT: if anyone would like to see what my sister-in-law does, THIS is a link to her website! :D

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I have found inexpensive and functionality to be the key

1. Potholders,

2. Dishclothes,

3. Scunchies

4. Small Stuffed Animals

5. Baby or small afghans (25.00 to 30.00 range)

Good Luck.

:manyheart

Sorry for your sister's hard time last year...I find that some of the local craft shows have so many "bead" themed booths, that they hurt eachother...no-one does well. I think sharing a table is a good idea...as well as having high and low priced stuff. That should help with the draw...if you or she can come up with something unique for display or to sell, that should help too...I realize that maybe she's only one of a few bead jewellers, and that would help her, but here, there seems to be several, and then just having earrings or earrings and necklaces probably isn't enough. (I think at least 3 booths will also have similar styles too...here that is) Maybe she could scout what others did, and then go another direction...beaded watches maybe? I don't know, I'm just rambling.

As for crochet at a craft show, unless you want competition (again your area may be different) I'd avoid dishcloths and hanging towels...here there seems to be enough booths doing those that to sell, you underprice yourself so that you loose $ everytime. ouch. maybe do some ami's, or cell/ipod cozies (especially in team/school colors or popular camo themes, etc). ornaments (if it's in the fall, especially) ruffled socks, bookmarks...small drawstring bags...

running out of ideas...

have to admit, I've never actually worked at a craft show, but I know some people who have, in different mediums.

Hope all my rambles help...

Archived