Annies Attic Pattern Question???

Hi Margaret. that is some project! It is huge and very detailed so it will be a real challenge, or it would for me. I have never attempted anything like that, though I do enjoy filet. It would be an ambitious first filet project, I think, because of all the detail and the fact that each row is different, there is no repeating pattern.

You know, you could go ahead and order the pattern if you know you want to make it someday. Then just take a small piece of the graph, like 30 by 30 squares from one of the bottom corners where there is a lot of detail and make that, like a swatch, to see how it goes and how you like it.

It's BEAUTIFUL! I had never done filet either, until this past Christmas. Not being one to ever do anything in a small way, I chose a large angel banner to do for my best friend as a Christmas gift. I am still working on it, but it's coming along very nicely and should be finished by the first part of this coming week. I will post photos when it's done.

Anyway, you're going to LOVE doing filet! It's very easy to do, the most important thing to keep in mind is that you have to do it when you can devote ALL of your attention to the piece you're working on. This is because it's most important to follow the pattern EXACTLY, which can be difficult to do if you have distractions.

What I did was I made a couple of copies of the pattern on a copier before I started the piece. I got a yellow highlighter, and as I complete each row, I color in the row with the highlighter so that I know exactly what rows are done and which row it is I'm supposed to be working on.

I'm not going to lie, it was difficult in the beginning. I started it over a couple of times, and had to frog several rows of what I'm working on now a couple of times because I discovered mistakes and refused to just let them slide, but all in all it's a lot of fun and there are such beautiful things that can be made in filet. Probably the most difficult thing to remember was that when you're working on the even rows, you read the pattern picture from left to right, but when you're working on the odd-numbered rows, you read the pattern picture from right to left. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll have no trouble! Good luck and have fun!

Elle

Thank you everyone I knew you guys would come thru for me! I think I am going to order the pattern, but try something simple for my 1st filet project.I have crocheted for over 35 years(learned at a very young age lol) I think I am ready to try something new.I mostly do afghans household items etc.:hook

Without going to look for my catalog - I'd have to guess that that piece is done in either #30 or 50 thread. There's just so much detail!

Here's a great little starter pattern (and it's free) for a Prayer Cloth to try out filet!

http://inspiredcrochetdesign.blogspot.com/2007/11/free-pattern-prayer-cloth-filet.html

Archived