Looking for yarn

TheLadyWind

Hello, I stay in two locations. Buying yarn from stores is getting more difficult. Does anyone know where I can find yarn stores in Brooklyn, NY and in in Rockland County, NY?:yarn

In Rockland County, there are a few stores but they are far or always lack in variety. (or really expensive)..

thanks!

vonnie is right unfortunately.

I do know that knitpicks is great to order from though and they don't charge a fortune for shipping....was very pleased with my wool I bought from site only.

you can also check

www.knitmap.com

they list lys' and some even have reviews

I typed in Brooklyn, ny and there were dots all over the place...if you have more specific zip codes and can tell it a distance you might have some luck with it.

vonnie is right unfortunately.

I do know that knitpicks is great to order from though and they don't charge a fortune for shipping....was very pleased with my wool I bought from site only.

you can also check

www.knitmap.com

they list lys' and some even have reviews

I typed in Brooklyn, ny and there were dots all over the place...if you have more specific zip codes and can tell it a distance you might have some luck with it.

Thank you for the knitmap url. I was very surprised when I checked it out to find out that in our small town there is a place (besides Wal-mart) to by yarn!

Where in Brooklyn are you looking - I live in Bay Ridge and there are NO yarn stores around here. There is one in Park Slope which only sells the finer yarns and some in NYC, but again on the high side.

I have to go to Staten Island for regular yarn like Red Heart, Lions Brand, etc.

I am in the 11218 zip, when I did the search, it showed me specialty yarn stores or places really far or out of business. what I really want is places that sell regular yarn in bulk...

The issue of finding yarn in stores is not just a New York issue. I'm sure that many of us face the issue of finding yarn in a store that has sufficient dye lot. There is no greater joy that touching yarn personally, but it is a luxury that is fast becoming a dream. Depending upon what you like to crochet determines your "luck" in finding yarn. I go to my local craft store with great hopes that they will have sufficient dye lot, but they never do. I have several on line sources that I use. One on line source will send me free swatches, so I can at least "see" the color, because online phots tend to be totally inaccurate. I order online just about 100% of the time.

:P just spoke to my fiance....he said that even for 9 miles the traffic to get there would be horrible...The only Johann's near my parent's home is moving to ramsey, NJ and walmart doesn't really have a great variety over here....

I will have to go online for it...

• 5 weeks later...

If you know the yarn you want, check out the mfg's website (example: Plymouth, Berroco, Lorna's Laces, kraemer's, etc.) They often keep a listing of their retailers by state.

Some also offer free patterns for their yarns. Fun to look through.

The yarn magazines have the advertisements in the back. Good way to find LYSs that way, too.

Archived