Guidepost Sweaters ** Update

RecycleCindy

Has anyone crocheted the Guidepost sweater pattern found here at their website. I think it's a T-shaped sweater like the knitted one. I read an old thread that said that the sweater was really bulky and the stitches were too tight. I'd love if someone could post a photo and share ideas on this pattern. Our local library is doing a charity knit and crochet of this sweater next month for Guidepost and I'd love more info. Thanks so much for any help.

** Update see my last post for my final results 2/10/08

Hi Cindy,

I've made the crocheted version and yes, if you follow the directions the stitches are very tight. The sweater, in my opinion, would not be comfortable to wear. I have printed out some other instructions about crochet the sweaters that are a little different. I haven't made any sweaters from that pattern but it looked very promising. Let me look around and see if I can find it.

I have made a similar pattern to the oxfam one posted. It's basically the same pattern but my sleeves are full length. It's easy to just add the extra for full length sleeves. Generally speaking, the sleeves are the same width as the sweater if you make them full length.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm back with two sweaters completed using the pattern from Tripod that Karin helped me with. Here is my final results.

post-10977-135897497413_thumb.jpg

I made the size 4 shown in the pattern but it does run big. It's more like a size 6. I used about 8 ozs. of yarn on each sweater. I added a scalloped edge on the multi-colored one by working Ch 3, DC in same st, skip 2 sts, Sl St - *repeat around and end with a joining Sl St into the base of beginning Ch 3.

We'll be sending all our sweaters out at the end of the month for our local Guidepost sweater project. Thanks again for all the help. This pattern was really easy and works up fast.

Hi,

I just started knitting and crocheting for the Guidepost. My son's MIL does knitting for them and that is how I got started. I do not care for the crocheted sweater because it feels like a rug with worsted weight yarn. There is only one pattern for crochet and I am sticking to the basic T shape (which they asked that you do) but for the top part I am doing all singles on this one. On the first one I did elongated doubles all the way across the yoke ? and sleeves. I think the ones I am knitting look better. I had emailed them to see if there was another pattern for crochet but have not gotten a satisfactory answer - just the email that they got my email and to look on the FAO asked questions.

Feel free to email me if you'd like. I do think it is for a very worthy cause.

bmp26@verizon.net

HTH's

Bonnie

Archived