Why is crocheting so addictive ?

Repetitive motion is a stress reliever. A close relative of ours was in a mental hospital briefly and part of her therapy (and each patent's) was some form of repetitive hand craft. It engages the mind and the motions are extremely soothing. I am old enough to remember when knitting was prescribed for nervous patients. Crochet provides the same calming effect. This part is merely my surmise, but I suspect repetitive hand movements (ie., crochet, knitting, etc.) might release endorphins — those feel-good hormones we all love to have coursing through our veins.

These links are to anecdotal not scientific sites.

Link 1

Link 2

Try to make me go to rehab, but I said no, no, no (to borrow Amy Winehouse's song) :lol

I agree with others that it's something productive to do while watching TV instead of just sitting there, it's creative, and that it's cheaper than a shrink It also beats the heck out of other addictions (as long as you don't lose your mind, job, family etc. over it). We all seem to manage to balance our lives with it--in fact it keeps us losing the mind/family/sanity.

WHY IS CROCHETING ADDICTIVE?

... In Peggy Reed's book? ... BECAUSE IT GIVES ME TIME TO SIT DOWN

AND RELAX!!!!!! :D AND BECAUSE I LOVE the THRILL OF COMING UP WITH

SOMETHING NEW THAT NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE, SOMETHING CUTE

OF COURSE! :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!

I'm wondering if anyone has the same strange habit that I have, or if I'm the only one who does this. We have ascertained that crochet is, indeed, addictive, we are all addicted, and none of us want to be cured.

Now, here's the part where I think that I really MIGHT need some professional help... I take my crochet with me wherever I go, whether it's to my doctor's appointment every other month (it's a 2 hour ride one way, I can get in a LOT of crocheting in 4 hours in the car!), dinner at a friend's house (gotta fill the before-dinner and after-dinner time with SOMETHING constructive besides conversation), to the beach (one can only look at so many seagulls before boredom sets in), the pool (just like the beach without the seagulls).

However, I'm not content to take just what I'm working on figuring I'm only going to need enough to keep me busy for X amount of time. I have to take ALL of the yarn I'm using for that particular project. Whether it's something that requires 2 skeins or 12, all of the yarn for that project goes on the trip with me. Not only that, I also take along ANOTHER project in case I get bored with the first one, along with all the yarn for THAT project! It's not uncommon for me to embark for Houston to the doctor's office with a gigantic tote bag with 20something skeins of yarn in it and two afghan projects! What is WRONG with me?!?!? Does anyone else do this?

Elle

However, I'm not content to take just what I'm working on figuring I'm only going to need enough to keep me busy for X amount of time. I have to take ALL of the yarn I'm using for that particular project. Whether it's something that requires 2 skeins or 12, all of the yarn for that project goes on the trip with me. Not only that, I also take along ANOTHER project in case I get bored with the first one, along with all the yarn for THAT project! It's not uncommon for me to embark for Houston to the doctor's office with a gigantic tote bag with 20something skeins of yarn in it and two afghan projects! What is WRONG with me?!?!? Does anyone else do this?

Elle

No, but I've thought about it...alot!! :lolThe only thing that has stopped me is that we have horses and I end up with hay everywhere...in the car, in the house, on my clothes, the darn stuff gets into everything. I don't want hay on my projects so I keep it safely in the house...:yes

Kim

I find crocheting very relaxing. This year I went on a bus tour around Ireland.Of course I had my crochet with me. we travelled for at least six hours.It was very enjoyable crocheting and looking at the beautiful scenery. I always have 2or3 projects going.I can't imagine life without crochet.

I find crocheting very relaxing. This year I went on a bus tour around Ireland.Of course I had my crochet with me. we travelled for at least six hours.It was very enjoyable crocheting and looking at the beautiful scenery. I always have 2or3 projects going.I can't imagine life without crochet.

Crocheting and Ireland...you just can't get any more heavenly than that! Your trip sounds wonderful! :c9

Kim

Archived