Brim of Hat...What to use?

I am preparing to make a newsboy cap. I never made a crochet hat with a brim before. I noticed that a lot of folks here use plastic canvas to stiffen the brim, doesn't the little plastic points stick through and also scratch on your head? one of the posts mentioned "washable cardboard". can anyone tell me what that is, and where it can be found?

Is there anything else one could use that wouldn't disintegrate or wrinkle up in the wash?

I have used Buckram, or interfacing on sewing projects. But they still have to be ironed after washing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Personally, I would go with a tightly crocheted sc that will tend to be very stiff and stay that way.

On the first row or 2 you can use tight hdc for a couple of stitches on the edges to give the room for your brim to stay round but after that a smaller hook (way smaller) and a tight tension should do what you want and no fuss, no mess, no bother.

I once used the plastic from a 2L pop bottle but it tended to be noisy :eek so that was when I decided to just apply a little tough love to the crochet.

Now that I have said that... there is a technique that might be just what you want:

http://tinyurl.com/ygrw26

Unfortunately the pics are missing but if you can follow the instructions, this makes a tight, firm 'fabric'.

Afya Ibomu states in her book "Get Your Crochet On! Hip Hats and Cool Hats" to use 2 strands of yarn when you make a bib or brim on a hat. Afya is known for her hats internationally and many of her hats are featured in fashion magazines.

Afya Ibomu states in her book "Get Your Crochet On! Hip Hats and Cool Hats" to use 2 strands of yarn when you make a bib or brim on a hat. Afya is known for her hats internationally and many of her hats are featured in fashion magazines.

Thank You, I had thought about that too, but wasn't sure how it would hold up to wash. I guess I will have to make more than one and decide what method I like best. Really appreciate the advise.

Personally, I would go with a tightly crocheted sc that will tend to be very stiff and stay that way.

Now that I have said that... there is a technique that might be just what you want:

http://tinyurl.com/ygrw26

Unfortunately the pics are missing but if you can follow the instructions, this makes a tight, firm 'fabric'.

The instructions for the Back Scrubber pattern here also explain how to do this. It really does make a nice, stiff fabric that should work for the hat brim. I can't wait to see your newsboy cap. I've been wanting to try one myself...maybe after the holidays. Good luck!

The instructions for the Back Scrubber pattern here also explain how to do this. It really does make a nice, stiff fabric that should work for the hat brim. I can't wait to see your newsboy cap. I've been wanting to try one myself...maybe after the holidays. Good luck!

Thank you, this serves a multi-pupose need. I get to practice the method, make a gift for a friend, and get my cap done.

You would think after as many years as I have been crocheting, I could have done this, but it just goes to prove that we all have room for improvement.

Thanks to all, you are my crochet :angel s

• 2 weeks later...

Try pemtex, by Pellon, or Timtex (more expensive). I make fabric bowls and boxes and vases, and this works. You can cut it with scissors, it doesn't fray , ravel, or tear, and it's washable. It comes in fusible or non-fuxible. It's the perfect weight for hat brims. Hope this helps. Happy Crocheting!

I've made a had using this pattern. It uses plastic canvas for the brim. But it's not pokey or anything. You just have to follow the pattern. It's interesting how the crochet brim is formed around the plastic canvas part. People love this hat! In mine, the hat part turned out a bit looser, or baggier than in the pic, and more newsboy like. if that makes sense.......

http://www.yarncat.com/newsboy_cappatt.html

There is even a print out for the pattern of the brim part.

Archived