How/Where do I start?

leaderladyk

I started by looking at sites I found using google. Of course, I'm still in the starting out stage, so I don't really have any useful advice. Getting a drop spindle and roving, and giving it a whirl (pun intended) is a good place to start. It's cheap, and you learn a lot.

I agree with getting a drop spindle. There are lots on Ebay. I started with a bottom whorl, but I've heard a lot of people find a top whorl easier. Generally you can get started for under $15. There is lots of roving for sale on ebay too. My suggestion is when you start buying, split your purchasing dollars up between different types of wool/roving rather than different colors of the same type of roving so you can get a feel for what type of fiber you like to spin.

I was not terribly profficient with the spindle (felt like I needed 3 hards), but it did give teach me the mechanics of spinning well enough that I knew I enjoyed it, and I was confident enough to invest in a wheel. I bought a used Ashford Traditional a few months ago and again, it was a good tool to teach me what to do. When I go to MD S&W next week :yay I'm going to be looking to upgrade if I can find something in my budget.

There are lots of spinning lists on Yahoo groups. One that primarily focuses on hand spindles is called "Spindlers" If you scan through the other lists, you might find a group local to you. I was surprised at how many spinners there were right in my backyard! I found a group that meets every month at a library about 20 min from me :clap I've learned tons just by sitting and listening to them all chatter while they spin.

There are lots of websites online that have good info. There was a great one called 'Joy of Handspinning" but it seems to be down right now :(

Just a note on those wheel plans...they are to build a spindle wheel, which is different than what most people think of when they think of a spinning wheel. Basically you are still spinning like you would on a drop spindle, you have to stop often to wind the yarn onto the spindle, it doesn't draw in on it's own. Not that that's a bad thing, just pointing it out ;)

Holly

Thank you so much for your responses. I have been searching and searching and found a few good sites. It is so odd how spinning is so popular but so hidden...:). Anyway, I am going to start by getting a spindle and learning this technique...Although after my shopping spree yesterday, I don't know if my DH will let me!

Thanks again,

Kristina:clap

I just thought of something else!

If you have any historical parks/farms/museums nearby, very often they will have spinning demonstrations. I know a lot of the ladies in my spinning group volunteer to do these demos. So if you can get an opportunity to chat with one of those ladies, they might know if any groups meet in your area.

County fairs are another good place to scope out other spinners. Again, I was surprised to find out how many people raise their own sheep, goats & angora rabbits around here, primarily for producing good spinning fiber rather than meat.

Also keep an eye out for fiber festivals. I know there is a big one in Rinebeck NY in the fall.

We'll get you hooked :hook

Holly

Try out a spindle. They're fun! You'll get a feel for spinning and then decide if you want to continue and get a wheel. :)

As Holly mentioned, the spindlers list is a great, great group. Everyone is wonderful and nice and friendly -- very much like Crochetville. Plus even if you end up being mostly a wheel spinner, the list is helpful.

You can make your own drop spindle with a cd or with a toy wheel from a hardware store.

icanspin.com has some great instructions and videos to help you out.

Hope that helps!

Archived