Hook size for different sized of thread

hs_hopeful

I recently learned I'll be inheriting all of my aunt's crochet hooks, magazines, thread, yarn, whatever. I received the first box a few days ago. Although the hooks I'm waiting for, which were my grandmother's weren't in the box, there were a number of balls of thread. What size hook does everyone use for different sizes of thread?

It all really depends on the thread, the size of your crochet stitches you are after and the look you are after. Most patterns has a crochet :hookhook size with the pattern,

but I rarely go by that:devil.

you will get more replys from other crochetiers.

sunnywolfgar

Size 10 thread, usually size 7 (1.65mm) hook. But depending on personal taste, desired tension, size 6, 5 may also work.

size 8 perle cotton (which some say is close to size 20 thread) size 8 or smaller hook (1.5mm) I still am stubborn enough to still go with a 1.65 hook

I have some craft thread that's bigger than 10 but smaller than 5...I use a 4 hook for that.

smaller thread, ( 2o, 30 etc) I don't usually work with. So I can't help you there. sorry.

Size 5 thread, if you get any, is close to fingering weight. probably about a 0 or 1 hook. (in the steel, which is about a B hook I think...)

Work with what works for you, is the main thing though. hope this all helps.:)

Just as a general rule

size 10 thread - 7 hook

size 20 thread - 10 hook

size 30 thread - 12 hook

increasing or decreasing the size of your hook will change the size of your finished project.

Archived