Good beginner knit patterns

kmeiding

I just started knitting again. Right now I am making a scarf. I made a dishcloth last year and then tried a harder pattern and got discouraged because I had to focus too hard. I only know knit and purl and can alternate between the two. Does anyone know of some good patterns for me to try without having to look at them to see if they are too hard or not?

use their patternfinder and you can tell it you want only knit patterns, free patterns and easy level patterns :D

then it is up to you what catches your eye.

I also have the book 'One Skein Wonders' which has a couple of really pretty scarves that look quite easy.

Definitely check your local library for knitting books, you never know what will catch your eye:)

that site is great. Not sure if there are any books in the library - well at least not in the University library. I worked there and did make a point to look for some. Thanks for that site - I already printed two patterns that I like!

Knitting Pattern Central has free patterns of all kinds, easy and hard (thank you , Rachel!). I went the same route, tried something too hard and got discouraged. So right now I'm practicing my basic skills making scarves for the D Day Museum Vets program that was mentioned in Knitting with Bobbie Matela a few weeks ago. Not exciting, but I've practiced changing colors, and now I'm making the V-pattern one so I can practice purling a pattern into the scarf. I'm checking out my library this weekend, I think, for some more ideas.

Patty

I really like the "Knit Stitch" and "Purl Stitch" books by Sally Melville. They are part of her "Knitting Experience" series and very good for beginners, imho. The lessons are well explained and projects progress in difficulty level at an easy, comfortable rate, so I didn't get overwhelmed or bored. I found her books at the library and liked them so much I ended up buying them for myself. :)

Also LOVE knittingpatterncentral.com and lionbrand.com as resources for free patterns. :manyheart

I'm knitting up a mistake rib scarf right now that's not to difficult.

http://wendyknits.net/archives/1089

If you want something a bit more challenge to it maybe an something not a scarf.

How about a ballband dishcloth:

http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/Ballband%20Dishcloth.htm

I love them they are so colorful.

I like the Calorimetry isn't too difficult :

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html

It introduces you to short row shaping. She says to move the stitch counter but I placed them at each shaping. This way I had an easy count of the rows.

Archived