fairly new in Tucson

DesertCrocheter

Hey, anyone lurking out there in Tucson or Phx (and you come down to visit us int he Old Pueblo), I just found a new place with some sumptious yarns. It's called Backyard Beads, and one half of the store is beads and the other half is yarn. And in the back of the yarn half is an area with 40% off yarns and small bins with 50% off notions. I bought 5 skeins of yarn for my sister's Christmas present (if I can ever figure out how to make it--see help forum for sunshine lace afghan rant) and a small hook for some book thongs (also Christmas presents), all from the back room. Unusual companies, imported yarns, mohairs, soy silk--gorgeous!!! And it's an independent, which I always prefer to shop at if possible.

Patty

Oops-that's Back DOOR Beads. Went yesterday tog et a couple extra skeins for the sunshine lace afghan. Friendly sales people, and a cute little dog visiting. What fun!!

Fiona, it's in a strip mall at the southwest corner of Wilmot and Speedway. It's a deadly strip mall--one of the best bakeries (Beyond Bread--delicious sandwiches, too) and a huge used bookstore (Bookman's) are also there. Bring lot o' dough. LOL And Purls, another independent yarn store down here, is moving their east side location (they also have one on the northwest side of town) May 22. Not sure if they'll have a sale at the old store prior to the move, but I can always hope, can't I?

Patty

• 2 weeks later...

Well, knitting and crocheting must really, REALLY be taking off in this old burg, because there is now a completely new yarn store here in Tucson called Kiwi Knitting. Passed it on my way to work this morning, and immediately emailed my knitting friend about it. She's been in already (nothing escapes her, I guess) and bought some of that gorgeous bamboo yarn under discussion on another thread, but said it's still pretty small and limited right now. It's near the university and across from a chi-chi grocery, so it should stand a good chance at making a go of it. Will have to check it out myself. But I'll be able to resist the expensive yarn--my cooler is getting repaired on Thursday for $400, so no disposable income for me for a while. I'll have to check out the 40% off yarns at Back Door Beads if I want new stuff for the next few weeks.

Patty

Hello! I'm in Tucson as well. :) I went into Back Door Beads several weeks ago and thought they were nice. And I just discovered Kiwi Knitting a few days ago (though I'm glad they are very new, I thought I was just blind!). It's great to have a yarn shop so near the university!! Shopping for yarn is always such a long drive for me (being rather poor, I usually go to Michaels or JoAnne's either North or waaaay on the East side).

My friends (who knit) mentioned the Perls sale, but I'm observing now and can't go. sigh...

Harvester, I went to the Purls sale and bought 10 skeins--a first for me because I'm budgeted, too, and never buy that many at one time. I live in midtown so Joanns and Michaels aren't that far from me. But I just ordered a socks book online and realized I didn't buy enough of this lovely brown wool I bought to make my first pair of socks, so guess I'll have to go back. I hope they have a grand opening sale to match the 40% off everything in stock moving sale! :D

Patty

• 4 weeks later...
Duh, I didn't even think to look and see if these 2 shops had web sites until you asked, Becky, and they do! Back Door Beads is www.bdbeads.com and Kiwi Knitting is www.kiwiknitting.com. Now I'll wind up surfing the web for more shops here in Tucson and Phoenix. Happy surfing!

Patty

Thanks for the link to Kiwi knitting. Since they are only opened 8-5 and closed on Sundays I can never make it there when they are opened. Maybe tomorrow. :)

The other day while driving past the store I saw the open sign and it was past 5pm. On my way home tonight I pulled into the Kiwi parking lot and they have new hours (not posted on the website). They are opened until 7pm on Wed and Thurs. (they are closed from noon to 3pm on those days as well). My plans are to go tomorrow. It is about time as I have been trying to plan to go since May! :eek

• 2 months later...

I finally went into Purls (the store way east on Broadway) yesterday. :) They were very helpful and had an amazing selection of yarn. :) I got some ribbon-ish yarn for my flamenco wrap and some bright blue thread for a doily.

Now I need to go to the other store to pick up more of the yarn since they only had 2 skeins there.

I think I like the layout of the new Purls eastside location better than their old one. It's more spacious. Although I liked feeling like I was exploring, every time I bumped the shelf behind me when I bent over, I felt stupid. But I haven't seen the regular ladies who used to work there on weekends at the old location, so I hope they haven't left. I've never been to the NW side location. I love their yarn, just wish I could afford more of it! Patty

I stopped (briefly) at the NW location today and it seemed really nice too. :)

I do need to go back to Kiwi Knitting since it's so close to campus!

Though I should really work on the projects I have now before I get more yarn.

• 10 months later...

For those in Tucson, there's a mother lode of Crochet magazines and patterns at Bookman's on Grant & Campbell. I picked up several of the newest Crochet! magazines and they had Crochet Fantasy and Crochet World magazines (fairly new issues) as well as several of the little pattern books - mostly afghans. Great way to get more patterns at cheap(er) prices. The Crochet! magazines were $3 and I got the Leisure Arts "Our Best Thread Crochet" for $7.50.

(though it wasn't a cheap trip, as I found several other things that I "needed" - never let me loose in Bookman's by myself!)

Archived