I need some Help Baaaaaaaaad

Crumper33

Question

I just started crocheting not that long ago, and I am working on a diamond trellis afghan for a friend of mine. The Pattern is found on the red heart yarn, here is my delimna. I am using a G hook not the I hook as they suggest, I just prefer the smaller hook. However, I want to know how many chains do I do to get the darn thing right. It says with the I hook to chaing 218, but I want this to be large enough to fit a king size bed. The throw measures 47 1/2" x 61 ", I am trying to make it in the G hook big enough to fit a king size bed. Basically what I need to know, is if I triple the pattern, how many chains do I make to make the thing come out right, or do I just do 218 x 3? Will that come out right? I have been working on this for the past week and still it is not coming out right at all. If there is a simpler pattern out there to understand I would welcome it. I love this pattern though and I think she will too. So please if there is anyone out there that can help then please please please. Thanks.

8 answers to this question

what you need to do is make sure there is enough stitches to make it to the specifications. if it calls for the I hook and your using the G, then you mostly defiently will need to add more. what you can do, (i am not really familiar with that pattern) but if it is added a diamond at a time. then measure the diamond, then how big you want it, then add the extra stitches. it has to be to scale.in other words if the I hook has 4 stitches per inch, and the g has 8, then you would add enough of the st on the g hook to make it as large as the I hook. hope that helps:hug vicki

Ok I think that helps for another project I am doing, but what I am trying is this, I have the pattern here, and I chained the called for chain which was 218 and I added 434 chains with it, but the 2nd row is like off a bit, and it is not doing what it should. I dunno how to put the pattern on here so you can see what I am talking about, but if you would like to email me I think I have the email address on my name on here, I can scan the pattern and picture of it and send it to you. Thanks, and that is for anyone that can help. This is for a very special friend I am doing this for.

Tell me how the first row ends and the second row begins. From those stitches, I can help you determine the pattern. Afghans use set number patterns in the chaining to establish the rhythm for the pattern for the rest of the afghan and the beginning chain also includes a number of chains at the end for turning. For example, if the pattern is a set of 4 stitches and then 6 chains for turning, then 218 is 53 patterns plus your 6 chains. If you want to double it, you double the original number of patterns to 106 and multiply by 4 (424) and then add your 6 for the beginning row turning and you actually get 430, not 436 (which is what you get when you just double the beginning chain).

I'm sorry if this is confusing. It'll be easier to explain if you post the row instructions.

I know I have that pattern somewhere, if I can find it before you figure it out I'll try to figure out the pattern repeat for you.

Edit: From looking at your pattern, your pattern repeat on row 2 is a multiple of 4 + 3(at beginning of row) + 2(at end of row) + 1 for your turn in row 1

In other words, you need a multiple of 4 + 6 to get the pattern right.

So, sjkmaurice is right when she said 430. If you need it any bigger than that, just keep adding on a multiple of 4, then 6 more.

In other words, add 4 + 6, 8 + 6, 12 + 6, etc.

I hope you see where I'm getting.

:frog

ok here are the instructions: Chain 218 Row1: SC in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across:217 sc

Row 2: Ch 5, skip first 2 sc, sc in next sc, *ch 5, skip 3 sc, sc in next sc:rep from* to last 2 sc:ch 2 dc in last sc:turn

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in dc, *ch 5, sc in ch-5 loop:rep from*across, working last sc in 3rd ch of ch-5:turn

Row 4: Ch 5, sc in ch 5 lp,*3 dc in next sc, sc in next lp**ch 5, sc in next lp:rep from *to last sc end at **ch 2, dc in last sc:turn

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in dc *3 dc in next sc, skip next dc, sc in next dc, 3 dc in next sc, sc in lp:rep from *across, end as row 3

Row 6: Ch 5 skip next dc*sc in next dc, 3 dc in next sc, skip next dc, sc in next dc**ch 5 skep next 3 sts:rep from*to last 2 sts, end at**ch 2, skip next dc, dc in last sc:turn

This is a not the whole pattern, but it will give you an idea of what I am looking for I hope. I need to know how to get the thing doubled so I can use the G hook and not the I hook like they are saying. I figure if I use the I hook and double the pattern, then it should come out the same way just smaller diamonds, and a larger blanket. Thanks in advance and I hope to hear from you again about this. You all rock

Your best bet is like I said, your pattern repeat is a multiple of 4 + 6 more.

In other words, your foundation chain needs to be a multiple of 4, then you ch 6 more after that to get your pattern to come out right.

A King size mattress is app. 76" wide X 80" long, so if you want the afghan to drape over it, you'll need a foundation chain app. 4-6 inches longer than the mattress.

Also, you'll need to count your chains to make sure it's a multiple of 4, then add 6 more chains. Something like this-foundation chain of 432 (multiple of 4) then chain 6 more, so whatever you need to chain to get the length you need, make sure it's a multiple of 4 then chain 6 more.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

:frog

Archived