Anyone use Lion Wool Prints or Red Heart Rag Doll???

Doey

Has anyone used Lion Wool Prints.... I'm making some of those felted vases and bowls, I have been seeing... All of the patterns I've found so far are Knitted. I'm trying one in crochet .... I'm using a double crochet, so I'm experimenting with size...I guess if its too small, I can make it bigger and if its too big I can go smaller.... at any rate the people I give them to wont have a clue that it was an experiment :lol .... As far as felting ... I think these will be better if they are stiffer so I am going to assume that a 25 - 40% shrinkage is what I will need with little to no stitch definition.

I am also going to experiment with RED Hearts RAG DOLL, its 67% wool, 27% nylon, 6% acryilic.....:eek its more of a decorative yarn .... it has the wool roving in the center with a decorative string around it. Im thinking I could always unwrap the string, and just use the wool roving and crochet with it.... at any rate it was on sale and I couldnt resist ... the $1.00 a 50g ball:woo :woo

I have about 20 to make for Christmas gifts, so any ideas would be great!

Wish me luck and I'll be looking for any hints on the Rag Doll and any other brands that are varigated.

Thanks Doey

I just bought some of the Rag Doll at big lots, I'm working it "as is" with the intention of felting it. Though my thoughts are "I have no idea what's going to happen with the decorative bits" AND "This may take a few trips through the washer and drier..."

At this point I'm thinking of it as experimental... (at a dollar a skein at Big Lots I can afford to "experiment" with it.)

The Lion Wool (not Wool EASE) whether solid or "prints" felts nicely.

I've used lion wool prints and it felts beautifully. Love how the colors blend from the felting. If you are making bowls though you might want to use hdc instead to make it more sturdy than a dc will.

As for color variations..check out www.knitpicks.com they have fabulous colors and it felts great and a 50g ball (110 yds) of 'wool of the andes' is only $1.99 (except for a specific color set, but it is marked).

If you prefer store shopping look for patons classic merino wool which is a good standby yarn and around $5 for 223yds. Bernat's Felting wool is good, but it is roving wool basically and depending on what you are doing doesn't work as well (I prefer mixing it with patons).

Patons SWS(soywool) has some beautiful colors, but when felted it fades a bit and sheds A LOT.

Noro Kureyon is another good wool...nice long colorways and felts like a dream.

I know there are more, but my brain isn't coming up with them.

I too have used the Patons SWS but I have not had any shedding problems with it. I tend to like a tight felt maybe that is why. I buy Patons wool as well because you get more on a skein than you do with Lions brand,and even the varigieted Patons has the same amount of yarn as the solids. Not many companies do that!

I've used lion wool prints and it felts beautifully. Love how the colors blend from the felting. If you are making bowls though you might want to use hdc instead to make it more sturdy than a dc will.

As for color variations..check out www.knitpicks.com they have fabulous colors and it felts great and a 50g ball (110 yds) of 'wool of the andes' is only $1.99 (except for a specific color set, but it is marked).

If you prefer store shopping look for patons classic merino wool which is a good standby yarn and around $5 for 223yds. Bernat's Felting wool is good, but it is roving wool basically and depending on what you are doing doesn't work as well (I prefer mixing it with patons).

Patons SWS(soywool) has some beautiful colors, but when felted it fades a bit and sheds A LOT.

Noro Kureyon is another good wool...nice long colorways and felts like a dream.

I know there are more, but my brain isn't coming up with them.

Thanks a bunch for all the help..... I love the Noro Kureyon! I've got several things made up but havent felted them yet. I like doing my felting all at once. I start with the lightest colors and work my way to the darkest. Actually I found a good site with alot of ideas for bowls but all the patterns are in Knit so Im gonna have to modify and convert. Thanks a bunch.

Doey

I just bought some of the Rag Doll at big lots, I'm working it "as is" with the intention of felting it. Though my thoughts are "I have no idea what's going to happen with the decorative bits" AND "This may take a few trips through the washer and drier..."

At this point I'm thinking of it as experimental... (at a dollar a skein at Big Lots I can afford to "experiment" with it.)

The Lion Wool (not Wool EASE) whether solid or "prints" felts nicely.

I actually ended up unraveling all the decorative bits.... I picked up a color with peach, yellow, blue and brown and one that had pink, hot pink brown and light blue in it, they look very pastel so that should make for some nice bowls and vases. I'm gonna go pick up some more of it today, they had lots of it. My guess it that you would probably want to lightly felt this because of the bits.... Im thinking it will work alot like all the other decorative yarns.... I'd be interested in knowing how it does come out.

Doey

I too have used the Patons SWS but I have not had any shedding problems with it. I tend to like a tight felt maybe that is why. I buy Patons wool as well because you get more on a skein than you do with Lions brand,and even the varigieted Patons has the same amount of yarn as the solids. Not many companies do that!

I havent tried the Patons SWS but I remember seeing it. Guess I will have to check it out.

Also I love your Border Collie..... I have 3, 2 black and whites and a blue merle..... plus new puppies ( all girls too ) ****.

Thanks for all the info....

Doey

Caper is a cute one and of course she knows it. I have to sneak up on her now to take her picture she has become camera shy! Never had that problem with Max our old standard size. He loved having his picture taken even when he was sick. Caper has inherited all of Max's crocheted items. We had to put my boy down in February. He was 17 and I still miss him loads. I even still say goodnight to him every single night. He is my wallpaper on my computer. He always took all of my crocheted rugs and made them his own. I only did those in cotton though much easier to keep clean than wool! I think I might try felting a bed for Caper this winter she is only 29 pounds so a bed for her should not be too hard. Now all I have to do is wait for a good wool yarn sale! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived