Just to vent a bit...

OMGoodness. I finally finished a hdc lesson in my learn to crochet book. Now the stitch isn't hard, but making the swatch is a pain in the butt. I worked on it over the course of the day, counting, miscounting, frogging, miscounting some more and then finally like 20 minutes ago I got the right number to stitches in all of the rows to make a smushed square (rectangle).

I think it's just me, but I have such a hard time concontrating with crocheting. My mind isn't made to count and hold numbers like it use to.

I want to make an blanket and I tried to make a 7 inch square. Well I got it to be 3 inches tall by 7 inches wide when I started loosing track of stitches. I can chain 30 to get a 7 inch foundation chain and sc 29 in the remaining rows, but I messed up somewhere along the line and ended up with rows of 29, 29, 28, 26, 25. So I frogged it all and started again.

On the second attempt I chained 30 and came up with an 8 inch foundation chain. *So fine just go with it* and I guess I did my foundation row and first sc to tighting cause I wasn't making a square anymore, it looked a bit something like this:

Example.bmp.jpg

So I frogged it again and wound the string back on the skien. I'll try it later. Maybe with a smaller square, do a series of 5 inch squares...

Anyway thanks for letting me vent.

:yarn

Well, your square is more creative!

Next time, try to work in a quiet place with no interruptions. Turn off the TV, the radio, tell the kids to be quiet and the dog to hold it. Sit comfortably in a good light. Think about nothing but what you are working on.

Just takes practice -- but do count stitches at the end of every row.

Jean L.

I've been crocheting for over 30 years and making a square using the same stitch over and over is still tricky for me. I've learned to carry a contrasting thread up the piece of work every 20 stitches or so just to keep the number of stitches consistent.

LadyLayna, it looks like your having trouble with your turning chain(s) and stitching into the proper stitch, which makes an increased stitch at the beginning of our piece. Your turning chain(s) act as your first stitch. Try making the chain(s) at the end of your row, BEFORE you turn to crochet the next side....and before your turn, make place see exactly which stitch that you should stitch into on that row...it might help you to keep your number of stitches consistent. Good luck, D

I am glad to hear I am not the only one. I am also happy it's something I am sticking at. Even though it takes a few days for me to get back in the swing of things, I still go at it. That says a lot. LOL. I used to be the person that gave up with things got tough. I am learning though...

LadyLayna, it looks like your having trouble with your turning chain(s)

Yeah I think that's my problem. Isn't the turning chain considered the first chain of the next row? If so I keep forgetting to count that. When counting I tend to count the two loops at the top of the stitch instead of the actual stitch. That's gotten me in trouble before. So I'd frog it and then re do it only to come up with the correct amount of chains in each row after I've counted the turning chain.

If " _ " is considered 1 stitch and my piece looks like this (2 rows of stitches):

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Then after making my turning chain and going to make the second stitch do I stitch in the first or second chain on the right?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ *

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

or

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ * _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

making rows of the same stitch, whether sc, hdc, dc, etc., can be some of the most difficult to keep the stitch count consistent.

at the end of the hdc row you generally chain two and then turn. often it will say "counts as first hdc".... so the top of that turning chain is to be considered a hdc and that is where your last stitch will go when completing that row. i put a stitch marker in that stitch (the second chain of the chain two) so when i come back i know THAT is where the last stitch goes. you will then chain two, replace the stitch marker to the last chain, turn your work and go across to the other end where you've left a stitch marker, and so on. it slows you down, moving the stitch marker, but it does tell you where that last stitch goes and your work should come out consistent.

even when counting your stitches it is easy to get off count because it is often unclear what you should be counting.

as far as your piece being tighter at the beginning, the foundation chain can be made with a hook a size bigger, then switch to the desired size and perhaps it will be easier to work into. the chain can be the most difficult to work into, whether the foundation chain or the turning chain.

there are a couple tricks you might try later on as you become more experienced that deal with both the foundation row and the turning chain.

the current issue of Crochet Today magazine (nov/dec '07) has a very well-written 'crochet doctor' article on making the foundation row which combines your chain and your first stitch and gives you a foundation row that is more in line with the rest of your work as far as having the same elasticity, etc. perhaps someone knows of an on-line tutorial for this stitch.

as far as turning chain, i believe it's Doris Chan (i could be mistaken) who suggets that at the end of the row do NOT chain, turn your work, sc into the same stitch (not the next stitch) then chain your one or two to bring the height up to the level of your stitching. this technique helps to eliminate the gap that you often see at the end of a row of hdc or dc or any of the taller stitches.

good luck, and dont' give up!

Super great tips! I"ll most certainly try the stitch marker in the "counts as first (stitch)" and the use a bigger hook to make a foundation row. Thanks so much for your help!

making rows of the same stitch, whether sc, hdc, dc, etc., can be some of the most difficult to keep the stitch count consistent.

at the end of the hdc row you generally chain two and then turn. often it will say "counts as first hdc".... so the top of that turning chain is to be considered a hdc and that is where your last stitch will go when completing that row. i put a stitch marker in that stitch (the second chain of the chain two) so when i come back i know THAT is where the last stitch goes. you will then chain two, replace the stitch marker to the last chain, turn your work and go across to the other end where you've left a stitch marker, and so on. it slows you down, moving the stitch marker, but it does tell you where that last stitch goes and your work should come out consistent.

even when counting your stitches it is easy to get off count because it is often unclear what you should be counting.

as far as your piece being tighter at the beginning, the foundation chain can be made with a hook a size bigger, then switch to the desired size and perhaps it will be easier to work into. the chain can be the most difficult to work into, whether the foundation chain or the turning chain.

there are a couple tricks you might try later on as you become more experienced that deal with both the foundation row and the turning chain.

the current issue of Crochet Today magazine (nov/dec '07) has a very well-written 'crochet doctor' article on making the foundation row which combines your chain and your first stitch and gives you a foundation row that is more in line with the rest of your work as far as having the same elasticity, etc. perhaps someone knows of an on-line tutorial for this stitch.

as far as turning chain, i believe it's Doris Chan (i could be mistaken) who suggets that at the end of the row do NOT chain, turn your work, sc into the same stitch (not the next stitch) then chain your one or two to bring the height up to the level of your stitching. this technique helps to eliminate the gap that you often see at the end of a row of hdc or dc or any of the taller stitches.

good luck, and dont' give up!

Archived