Crochet vs. Knitting

This topic comes up all the time, and I know I saw it here yesterday, but I can't find it know and I had something to add....and I've got to pick up the offspring in 10 minutes.

Anyhoo,

someone mentioned that there are so many more ads for yarn shops etc in the knit mags and none in crochet mags. My question is this: is that neccesarily the fault of the store. Isn't the magazine somewhat responsible for the ads in it? Why don't the crochet mags go out and try to get the business of these stores? Am I making sense? :(

Well, sorry if this is in the wrong spot :blush Please don't throw me out LOL!

Sara

Well, here it is waaay past my bedtime again (I seem to be making a habit of this), and was just nursing my wounds - was just wrapping up a long second row on my Seraphina shawl and feeling great about my progress when I discovered yet another air-headed mistake at the beginning of the previous row, meaning I have to :2frog:2frog my entire evening's work! :bang Thanks to these constant mistakes, I've spent more time froggin the dang thing than I have crocheting it! :(

Anyhow, you were referring to the thread that I started regarding the yarn companies, and I do think you have a point. At least, it's worth checking it out. I think I may just fire off an email to Crochet! magazine this weekend and ask them.

However, on the other hand, there are other pretty strong indications of the bias of these yarn companies: when you browse their websites and look at their yarns, you will find that almost all of them without exception only give gauge and needle information for their yarns - in knit information. The vast majority of the patterns they offer for their yarns, both the "buy" kind and the free ones, are knit patterns. We're lucky if we can even find mention of the word "crochet" on these companies' websites, so this problem extends well beyond just the advertising issue. And let's face it, how can a crochet magazine fill up all it's ad space with glitzy ads for knit patterns? The accomodating has to run both ways, ya know?

Okay, gonna have to give it up for tonight (this morning) and go get some sleep. At least tomorrow is TGIF (I live for the day, lol!). I will NOT be thinking about the frogging project that awaits me... :eek:angry:grump

Ok. I went to bed about 5 hours ago and I'm up again for a day of cleaning/cooking.

I just flipped through my latest issue of Interweave K**** mag and this is what I found.

Pg 52: an ad for RY classic (http://www.ryclassic.com) featuring a gorgeous shawl crocheted from motifs. Have not actually checked the site.

pg 15: an ad for Rebecca magazine (http://www.rebecca-online.com/). Yes a knit bag but the cutest crochet tank is one of the items featured. This is a European mag and I've found that European mags/yarn companies seem to do a better job by crocheters. (For a while I subscribed to a Spanish crochet mag which had nothing but crochet clothing...)

pg 11: an ad from berroco.com. One of the pattern leaflets featured it titled Knit, Crochet and More Berroco is trying to be more crochet friendly.

pg 5: Plymouth yarn company (http://www.plymouthyarn.com) That's the one I was trying to remember last night. They consistently advertise in crochet mags.

Now, there is one other factor that I have not considered: Crochet World, Hooked on Crochet and Crochet! are all published by the same group (DRG publishing) which also owns Annie's Attic and Leisure Arts. Hmmmm. Very interesting...:scrachin

Sara

As a retired ad agency owner I can give an expert opinion on this, I think. Yes, there are some agencies that do out and companies to run their ads, most very few any more. The majority of ads are placed by the yarn companies and/or stores. The companies/stores call the publications that they feel best fits their target-audience (us) and pays big money to run those full-color ads. The bigger the ad, more colors, the more $$ they pay for each run. Also, the bigger the magazine (not in physical size but in circulation whether subscribed or non-subscribed) raises the price of each ad. Therefore, in response to your statement, no, it's not the ad agencies who are not doing their job but the yarn companies and/or stores. Crochet is simply not considered an upscale craft. It's for those who are middle of the road, who cannot afford the more high-priced ticket items. It's the poor-man's knitting. Regardless that crocheters & knitters use the same medium (yarn) and buy it for the same price.

Now, please do not get offended at me. I am stating fact. I am a crocheter not a knitter (even tho I can knit). I think what needs to be done is we crocheters need to unite and start requesting from these publications more up-to-date crochet patterns. We need to make our voices heard. We need to let the yarn companies and/or LYS know that we exist and we have money to spend. We need to let them know we have money to spend and williing to do so but we need the patterns to go with the yarn. We need to let them know we aren't the poor-down-trodden people of eons past. Because that's what crochet was once considered. Knitting was for the upscale hierachy and crochet for the peasants. Life has changed. We are equal but still the crochet family is being ignored and I think that, in part, is our fault. We gripe here in our message boards, but we don't make our voices heard to those in the right places, to those yarn companies and pattern companies.

IMHO,

Cheryl

Pg 52: an ad for RY classic (http://www.ryclassic.com) featuring a gorgeous shawl crocheted from motifs. Have not actually checked the site.

I just went and looked, it's there and it's beautiful!

http://www.ryclassic.com/holidayshawl.htm

As well as a coverup:

http://www.ryclassic.com/beachcoat.htm

And another shawl:

http://www.ryclassic.com/jacuzzi.htm

I think what needs to be done is we crocheters need to unite and start requesting from these publications more up-to-date crochet patterns. We need to make our voices heard. We need to let the yarn companies and/or LYS know that we exist and we have money to spend. We need to let them know we have money to spend and williing to do so but we need the patterns to go with the yarn. We need to let them know we aren't the poor-down-trodden people of eons past. Because that's what crochet was once considered. Knitting was for the upscale hierachy and crochet for the peasants. Life has changed. We are equal but still the crochet family is being ignored and I think that, in part, is our fault. We gripe here in our message boards, but we don't make our voices heard to those in the right places, to those yarn companies and pattern companies.

I think Cheryl has a good point and I agree. Change always starts with speaking up and speaking out. If companies know that there's a need for something, they'll usually provide it.

Where should we start? I would be willing to send letters, emails, calls or what ever but I don't know who to contact. This is a good idea and I want to follow up, but need direction. I have been looking for really up to date and fashionable items and it hasn't been easy. I definitely am willing to pay both for the yarn and the patterns if they were nice. So far I have only found a very few items that I was willing to spend the bucks on. And many times I have been online looking at yarn to purchase and since the gauge is given in knitting I have no idea what it means!

As a retired ad agency owner I can give an expert opinion on this, I think. ...Therefore, in response to your statement, no, it's not the ad agencies who are not doing their job but the yarn companies and/or stores. Crochet is simply not considered an upscale craft...It's the poor-man's knitting.

Now, please do not get offended at me. I am stating fact. I am a crocheter not a knitter (even tho I can knit). I think what needs to be done is we crocheters need to unite and start requesting from these publications more up-to-date crochet patterns. We need to make our voices heard. We need to let the yarn companies and/or LYS know that we exist and we have money to spend. We need to let them know we have money to spend and williing to do so but we need the patterns to go with the yarn...We gripe here in our message boards, but we don't make our voices heard to those in the right places, to those yarn companies and pattern companies.

I am not offended in the least! I'm actually very happy to hear how the ad world works.

Now, I am willing to do my part. What can we do? It seems the CGOA could be very useful in this. Also, we need to use our wallets as weapons. I will take the pledge now to 1. Purchase the pricier stuff whenever possible (this will mean internet shopping for me) and 2. Always write the yarn company and let them know that I am a crocheter who just bought their product and ask for more crochet.

Sara

Here's what you do. You get copies (which I'm sure most of you already have) and in the very first pages is the editorial listing. Write the Editor In Chiefs. Tell them what you want & why. It's really that simple. After they get a ton of letters they'll start paying more attention. You can also go to each magazines website and email either the Editor In Chief or Editor (can be referred to as many things but it is the top listing. Most websites, however, only have a customer service. This will suffice as it will get passed along to the correct person(s) especially if they receive enough emails or snail mail.

Archived