2 Questions: Caron yarn and online colorways?

I've been thinking about a couple of questions lately, and figured someone here would know at least one of them.

1. Has anyone noticed the "white" color of Caron Simply Soft these days? For the past few months it's actually been greyish-white. Totally hideous and dirty looking. It's that way in every store I see it in. I'm on the verge of writing to Caron to ask what the deal is and beg for the old color back.

2. I thought--or maybe this was a dream I had :lol --that I once saw a website where you could do virtual mixing and matching of yarn colors to see which colors would look good together. Am I crazy, or is there such a thing?

Thanks!! :)

Well, I wrote Caron about the 'white' issue back in the spring. Their response was they knew about it and were fixing it with in the next month or two.... well... it's now October and I'm still seeing grey instead of white in the stores. I say we all (who use the yarn) write and complain again... maybe they'll do something about the quality this time... I know it takes time for things to work through the distribution system but... a few week vs. 5 months??

I can' answer number 2, sounds cool though if it does exist.

Here's the problem with the color:

One of the big companies put out a notice a while back, annd they didn't really get all loud about it ~ it was unobtrusive in the news. It said:

The 2 biggest manufacuturers of acrylic went bankrupt. End of discussion. Out of 5 major suppliers, these 2 manufacturers provided, by far, most of the acrylic the major yarn companies have been used to buying. And to top it off, they did the bulk of the dying in enormous amounts, hence the "no dye lot" system thats been in place now for a long time.

The big yarn companies are scrambling to replace these suppliers and know it's going to be a nearly impossible task. In the meantime, the yarns that will be affected the most for the time being are the paler shades, and you will have to check for dye lot numbers, no matter what company you buy from, especially in pale colors.

They said the colors being most affected are white, off-white, beige, cream, all those types of colors. Also yellow and pale blue.

That's all that was said. They are probably all having hysterics.

Now that you mention it, pale blue has been hard to get around here. And a few weeks ago, the strangest yellow was put out at the dollar store ~ it was definitely yellow but had a tinge of green, just a tinge.

Real Deal

That is interesting about the companies changing. I went to buy some white Simply Soft about a month ago, and it was so gray I had to get something else to substitute. This week I have seen it at Walmart and Hobby Lobby and it sems less gray and does have dye lot, but it is still not white in my opinion.

Thank you for the information, everyone! That's really interesting about the yarn companies. I had no idea. I hope they can figure out how to fix the white! I haven't bought any for months because it's so grey and nasty.

Carovan, thanks a million for the link! I was sure I had seen something in the past but when I searched I couldn't find anything.

Archived