Trying once again

Robyn

Years. I've been trying to learn how to knit for years just to have something new to be able to do. I'm trying again. Hopefully this time I'll be able to finally pick it up. I think I know what the problem is, and it isn't one easily solved. I'm very much a visual learner when it comes to crafts. My mother had to show me how to crochet after I'd trid to learn for weeks. No one around me, however, knits so I'm stuck with books.

Does anyone have any good online tutorials or such that could help?

Thanks.

you can google some other sites too...also, it really does help to have some one-on-one so check into your local yarn shop and see what classes they offer. I was fortunate to have a co-worker give me some assistance, however, she knits combined style only, and while that was great to learn and gave me some finger agility (it is fabulous for ribbing), I still had to to learn continental and/or english style (I learned both) since patterns aren't written for combined style and won't work in the round either. I don't write this to confuse you, not at all...any assistance you get is good assistance, believe me...definitely check out some nearby yarn shops and/or the bigger places (a.c. moore, joanns, hobby lobby, etc.) and see if they offer some classes in the basics. You won't regret the hands on experience they can afford you.

I agree that the knittnghelp website has great tutorials. There are so many things that are hard to learn from a book. Your local library may have videos the teach knitting as well. I couldn't figure out how to crochet until I found a good video of it at my library. :)

Like Knit Happens said, local yarn shops and craft stores are also a great resource. My LYS has people stopping in for advice and lessons all the time. Yet another option -- a friend of mine was doing volunteer work in a senior citizens activity center. Lots of the ladies there were avid crocheters and knitters. They had a "yarn adventures" meeting group and were happy to teach her how to knit and crochet. Plus, it brightened their day to pass on the knowledge. :manyheart

I can't learn by reading (at least this sort of stuff). I have to see it and do it. The video lets you pause and repeat as much as you need.

Having said that, I haven't put it in the player yet! (Sorry, stressing about trying to get pregnant). I just know what the videos from them are like because I have the identical one for crochet.

Hope this helps some.

Archived