Why does my cast-on row always look so yucky?

boo1

My foundation chains in crochet are always nice and neat but with knitting, ugh. I keep re-doing the cast-on row...

Is this just a beginner thing? I really want to make a scarf! Should I just keep going and quit being such a stickler for perfection?

thanks for any advice!

:cheer What Cast On are you doing?

Google Cable Cast On and you will find a great way to cast on which is flexible and neat and suits most things you want to know.

I will try to explain it a little here but you will get pictures if you Google it.

Make a running loop by winding the yarn over your finger, crossing it over and bringing the loop through the loop created on your finger.

Place the loop onto your left hand needle and knit into it, as normal but as you pull the loop through, put the left hand needle into the loop, from right to left and slip it completely onto the left hand needle.

Now put the right hand needle behind the whole stitch and knit another loop and put it onto the left hand needle as before.

This creates a wee twist at the bottom of the cast on row, which looks a like a little cable.

Try to keep an even tension on the stitches as you make them but putting the right hand needle behind the whole stitch makes this easier.

Remember, this cast on does not count as a row so when you start row 1 and all following right side rows, (Odd number rows) the tail will always be at the left.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, Practice this until you have it looking neat and even, then start using it to make something. A bit like when learning to crochet, it is a good idea to make miles of chain until you get it even, before you try making anything.

Remember too, if you want it PERFECT get it made in a factory by a robot.

I'm using the long tail cast on. (I think!) My problem seems to be that I'm getting more space between the needles sometimes more than others, and I think it is making inconsistent and unattractive loops.

I also think I should use a slightly smoother and thicker yarn; I'm using Koreyon. Think I'll switch to a different yarn, couldn't hurt.

you could also tried a knitted cast-on it is basically 1 slip-knot loop then you knit it but dont slide it off, then put the new loop back o nthe left needle and then knit that one...and so on until you have the right number

I'll have to give this a try this weekend. Thanks for the tip! :)

I'm also using the long tail cast on. When I first started knitting, I thought my cast on was the most horrifying looking thing in the history of knitting. But as I knitted more and more often, it started looking better. Now I'm mostly satisfied with my cast on although I still think it can look slightly better. :D

Now if we were talking about sloppy joins in circular knitting... that's one mystery I've yet to solve...

:bang

I'm trying to find a class where someone can help me because I'm a hands-on learner. I found one that starts Tuesday night. YAY!!!!

Still struggling with cast-on. I need a video to really understand, and the one on knittinghelp.com is 1) silent, and 2) not that easy to see. I know the long tail, the loop, and I can almost do the slingshot, but my stitches still look like bad. :blush

Off to look for a knitting video at Hancock Fabrics. The one I bought at HL (Knitting Made Easy) is SOOOOOO hard to use. It's rather old and it takes too long to go back. I have the Leisure Arts for crocheting, so I'm going to look for one for knitting.

I hope the knitting gods will shine on me soon!

This means that, more likely than not, they won't have it. :( It starts this Tuesday and I just need one or two more people to join. If I'm really lucky the teacher will just teach me, but I don't think so.

I picked up the Leisure Arts DVD so it might help.

I'm liking the loop cast-on, but my tension is still a problem. Will try to work on that. What really drives me crazy is that I used to be able to KNIT! I had good tension and so forth. So back up on the bicycle I go, skinned knees and all.

:yarn

Archived