Do you sell your handmade items at craft fairs if so whats your best seller?

Hi ladies and gents:

I was wondering what are your best seller items at craft fairs or do any of you do open house or private invitations home parties to sell your items...???

If so can you give me some ideas of what you ladies make and sell most of..

I live in Upstate NY and well I'll be moving to a 1890's victorian home we will be right on Main street and I was wanting to try and sell some of my crocheted items, so looking for some ideas and tips on what does well...

I don't do thread crochet but any thing else from there on.

I hope to hear from many of you..:hook

I don't sell my crochet, but of all the things I make, the most requested and complimented items are the purses, afghans, baby dresses and christmas ornaments (the balls you buy and then crochet jackets for them). The purses, afghans and dresses are the most time and yarn intensive. But the ornaments are done in thread and I can work up 12 in no time at all, as well as the fact they use up very little thread.

honestly the craft business is not doing well right now

my grandmom was a serious crafter in the 80's-good bit of 90's

she stoped because the stuff just stopped selling, same thing happened to her friends

they made a variety of things from wood to sewn dolls to ceramics, im sure there was a knitter or crocheter in there too

all the local mom and pop stores are struggleing, especially the ones with handmade stuff, no one does the craft shows and if they do they dont make much

im in south nj by the way

Unless you have some physical reason for not doing thread crochet, I would suggest that you start it.

Having a Victorian home would be a natural place to sell crocheted snowflakes, angels and other ornaments but the Victorian angle would really demand thread.

it could work if you can avoid a lot of overhead by working and selling from home. (Do the laws allow you to do this? - just curious. Our laws are getting really heavy against home businesses.)

HI Darski:

Here yes I can sell from home there is a sort of tax certificate I have to apply for but and then every 6 month months i fill out forms and report my sales and pay the taxes from them sales .... That same form I can use for craft fairs that are strick and need it to rent a table space or booth...

I had it before but when got ill i stopped selling and gave it up..

As for thread crochet yikes... I have never been able to crochet with thread. Just can't get the hang of it nor can i get the stitches to be tight. i've changed hook sizes etc but just can't do it.... beleive me it frustrates me not being able to do it as I love the doilies and all.

Archived