Knitting Needle Bag - My pattern posted on beginning post!!!

donnalynn2

What happened to all my CAL Pals??? I am making good progress on my bag and have been taking pretty good notes on how to make it and will post instructions on my blog hopefully tomorrow. I have a feeling that one skein of Red Heart won't be enough which means I'll have to look around and see if I can find another skein of the color I started with... I think I made mine a little bigger than the original but with the decreases, it should be about the same size on the top when I'm finished...

Anyone else have any progress to report?

I'm still here Donna. I've been trying to do mine, but for some reason I keep having problems. Now I've discovered I have to frog mine because it's too wide. I was going to make it 18 3/4 inches wide, but I measured it and it's 22 inches wide.

I'm still here Donna. I've been trying to do mine, but for some reason I keep having problems. Now I've discovered I have to frog mine because it's too wide. I was going to make it 18 3/4 inches wide, but I measured it and it's 22 inches wide.:ohdear

I've been keeping an eye on this post, in case I decide I want to make a bag. I already have one purse sitting around that needs to be lined...should I really add another? I've never lined a bag, and it's not a flat bag, so I have no idea how to do it. (Here it is if you have suggestions: Purse with lining fabric)

I was thinking about the knitting needles at the top...when you are ready to attach them, you could sc around them like if you were adding handles, or (if you use afghan hooks instead of knitting needles) switch to an afghan hook and uniformly pick up loops across. I think the pattern uses hot glue to keep the loops on the pointed end of the needles.

Amanda

Oops, double post.:oopsSorry about that. Anyway, Donna, I wanted to let you know that since I had to frog my bag that I've decided to make mine 1 piece too. Maybe now I can get some progress made.:whew

Amanda - Sorry but I'm the worst bag liner in the world! Everytime I try it comes out wrong. I know there is a how to out there and if I can find it I'll post the link.

Linda - Sorry you had to frog yours. If you want I can post my progess as far as the pattern thus far. I have a feeling that my bag is going to require more than 1 skein of Red Heart so I need to get another. Mine is larger on the bottom than the pictured one but that's how I wanted it. I plan on doing more decreases and such so that even though it's large on the bottom, it's still small enough up top to look right...

Linda - Sorry you had to frog yours. If you want I can post my progess as far as the pattern thus far. I have a feeling that my bag is going to require more than 1 skein of Red Heart so I need to get another. Mine is larger on the bottom than the pictured one but that's how I wanted it. I plan on doing more decreases and such so that even though it's large on the bottom, it's still small enough up top to look right...

Thanks Donna, that would help alot.:manyheart

Thanks Donna, that would help alot.:manyheart

I don't know if I'll have a chance to type out the instructions this evening (but I'll try) if not I'll try and get them tomorrow. Either way I'll post them on my blog so keep checking there!

• 2 weeks later...

Puff Stitch Purse - link to the post with my finished purse. I love this purse. It's bigger then my other purse I was using everyday. I think I may use this one for a while.

I know I used one skien of red heart, I don't think I started the other skien, but can't remember now (yea my memories gone:blush ), I finished it last week, but finally put it together last night.

I used fishing line on the straps so they won't stretch.

The lining was a clearance fabric for $1 a yard:cheer . I did look for other fabric but couldn't decide on what I liked, then I saw someone by the clearance section and looked there and found this one that I liked.

I did add a cell phone holder I crocheted in brown (that may have been the other skien) but didn't get a picture of it as I wanted to add a button so I could remove it and carry it by itself but just ended up sewing it on (which I can remove if I decide to later).

I did mine in 2 pieces and sewed together. One piece sounds nice though.

Lining:

Some posts on lining a bag. It's not really hard if it's more of a flat bag with no bottom. Just fold the fabric in half (folded part become bottom so you don't have to sew that part), cut to size of bag (a little bigger, I lay my purse on the fabric), sew up the sides of the fabric. Fold down the top (can iron these folds if desired, some fabric will hold the fold for you). place in bag with right side inside (the print of the fabric because you want to see it). Sew to bag. I did mine by hand.

Machine or Hand Sew a Liner?

lining a purse.. pointers??

Purse/bag lining?

Lining a Bag???

Fabric Help, purse linings - link has information on fabric lining that can help.

progress.gif

Debbi

Lining A Bag Not Flat (with a bottom):

I've been keeping an eye on this post, in case I decide I want to make a bag. I already have one purse sitting around that needs to be lined...should I really add another? I've never lined a bag, and it's not a flat bag, so I have no idea how to do it. (Here it is if you have suggestions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17282931@N00/1428663174/in/set-72157602131626979/)

Amanda

For a bag that's not flat, I found the lining info in the 8 Pocket Tote CAL. (Yes I'm doing that one too, and studying the lining on it so I can finish mine one day).

Cocoa Creams's tutorial (with pics!) for lining the 8-pocket tote :)This may help you with your lining. Maybe. At least some ideas. This provides almost step by step. If you don't machine sew, I suppose you could do it all by hand.

Good luck.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

Archived