Basic felting pattern? I'm going to use HDC but if I want an average size.....

boo1

It really depends on they wool you are using because I have found that different maufacturers felt and shrink differently. It also depends on how felted you want it to be, lightly felted with some stitch definition or fully felted with no stitch definition. But the basic rule of thumb is to expect the finished item to shrink by approxmately one third. So to get a finished scarf to be 7 inches then the item before felting should be 10 1/2 to 11 inches.

You might want to make a test swatch and felt it to see how quickly and how tight it felts.

Good luck and don't forget to post a pic of the finished product :)

In order for your felted scarf to drape nicely, you probably only want to lightly felt it. So you might no need to make it as wide - maybe only 1 to inches. Best thing would be to do a swatch (or several in different widths) and then light felt your swatches.

I'm with Sherry--if you felt something crocheted out of worsted weight yarn until it loses all stitch definition, it will be quite stiff. It's nice for purses, but you probably wouldn't want a scarf felted that way. So if you are using worsted weight, I would try felting it lightly. Or you could try making it with a fingering weight or lighter yarn. (I felt fingering weight all the time and it definitely is less stiff than worsted, but I still don't know if it would drape well enough for a scarf.) Whatever you choose, I would try a swatch first.

I did a felted scarf pattern in my newly released book called Positively Crochet. The before measurements were 8 1/2" x 96", and it measured 5 1/2" x 60" after it was felted. I used 1 skein of Patons Merino wool and did an open stitch pattern. I felted it tell the sts disappeared, and it is not stiff at all. If a felted scarf ends up stiff, I'd suggest putting fabric softener in the rinse. I didn't have to do that though. If you email me privately, I'd be glad to send you a picture of the scarf. Or you can look at the book at any of the major book stores. I'd call first, because they have been running out of stock, since it's a best seller. It's the book with the positive, encouraging tips on life :)

Mary Jane Hall

Author of Positively Crochet

I just bought your book.....and it is magnificent!!! It's truly the first crochet book I've bought that had as many items that I really plan to make. I'm working on the "double breasted" handbag right now! I love working with the Hilos nylon yarn!

BTW that felted scarf is adorable..felted or not.

I've actually had the book for about a week and a half and just could not decide what to make first. Thank you, thank you, thank you. When's your next book coming out?

I did a felted scarf pattern in my newly released book called Positively Crochet. The before measurements were 8 1/2" x 96", and it measured 5 1/2" x 60" after it was felted. I used 1 skein of Patons Merino wool and did an open stitch pattern. I felted it tell the sts disappeared, and it is not stiff at all. If a felted scarf ends up stiff, I'd suggest putting fabric softener in the rinse. I didn't have to do that though. If you email me privately, I'd be glad to send you a picture of the scarf. Or you can look at the book at any of the major book stores. I'd call first, because they have been running out of stock, since it's a best seller. It's the book with the positive, encouraging tips on life :)

Mary Jane Hall

Author of Positively Crochet

Oh Mary Jane, your book is so on my wish list for Christmas. I just love the sweater on the cover. I can't wait, I love all of your creations that I have seen!

I think I need to clear up what I said about felted scarves being stiff. I was talking about a solid scarf crocheted in worsted weight yarn. I agree that an open stitch could drape well, but I thought that the OP was talking about solid crochet in hdc. Anyway, sorry if I was unclear and congratulations on your book, Mary Jane. :)

Thank you all for the "Positive" things you said about my book, Positively Crochet! This is all very exciting and it wouldn't happen if it hadn't been for people like you all!

Thanks,

Mary Jane

• 4 weeks later...

Archived