turning to the dark side...

I have a design project that needed a loose weave and I wasn't sure if I had enough yarn. I decided to knit it in garter stitch :).

My gauge isn't entirely consistent. Apart from that, it doesn't look half bad. I wish I could figure out continental style, though. I think it'd save a lot of time if I didn't have to keep dropping the right needle to "throw" the supply yarn.

I wish there was a way I could "show" you how I do this. It was how I learned as a little girl (back when rocks were soft) and is so much faster than "throwing", especially for a garter stitch. . . . . I'll see what I can figure out later today. . . .

Thanks for the video. She had some good tips that I want to try. I tried to do continental, but I was really struggling to pull the loop through. (You'd think it'd come naturally to a crocheter.)

OTOH, I've gotten a lot faster as an English knitter. It feels funny, like I'm only using one hand. Sometimes I drop the left needle because it's not doing anything. Does that make sense?

I have a vintage children's book on how to knit. I need to scan it sometime.

Here's an instructional video on YouTube that seems to decribe continental knitting pretty well.

There are other knitting videos there that you may also find helpful.

If you need any help coming back from the dark side, just yell.:lol

Hi Laurie,

Just in case you didn't know there is a special interest forum here for crocheters who knit or want to learn to knit.

All you need to do is go to your User CP then click on Groups Memberships and and the knitting groups.

Archived